Biology HL P1 and P2 TZ1

Phil2154

How did you do? I think it was great!! P1 was easy and P2 had a great section A! I said that the stem cells were in interphase and that the other two processes were DNA replication and protein synthesis... I choose 5 and 7 to answer from Section B... I had sort of a difficulty in answering the question "which processes lead to genetic variation of the sperm of an adult male"... Should I describe the process of spermatogenesis??? Competitive and non competitive, differences between oogenesis and spermatogenesis and IVF were really easy! I am predicted a 5 but I think that was a 6! :P

I'm a bit less confident >.<

P1 was actually more difficult than I was expecting. There were a few freebies (like the Ecology ones), but then all of a sudden a question would pop up that would stump me. It was also lovely to see a term that our teacher swore had never been tested (luckily I glanced over it reviewing the night before.)

P2 was also meh. I didn't know the DNA diagram, which made me pissed, since it was as if it was mocking me with its simplicity. For B I wrote on 6 and 7. The genetic variation of sperm I wrote about segregation and independent assortment of chromosomes in meiosis, as well as crossing over, to cause genetic variation. I also found out that not really reviewing gametogenesis means that you forget the hormones involved, so I fudged some details I think (guessed on what LH did in females, and may have mixed up Sertoli cells with Leydig cells.)

Tried harder on P3, so hopefully I can pull through altogether with a 6.

P1...15min, 5min check, 40min nap...

P2...1h45min used. Checked over it once. Left early...

Answered 6 and 7, describe the structure of the ventilation system?! Heeeelllllllllllll yeah.

Compare oogenesis and spermatogenesis more free points. And in vitro fertilzation? I swear these essays were just handing me points...

P3 was so easy it was awesome. I did options E and H. Both were super simple.

The DNA question was just looking for you to make the anti-parallel structure of DNA really :P

I can't fathom why someone would prepare 1-2 years for a test and then sleep though 40 minutes of it. Oh well.

Anyways, I thought Paper 1 was reasonable, although in going over it with my teacher I know I missed three (the most shameful of which was stupidly and quickly reading "antibodies" as "antibiotics" when we had specifically gone over the differences in class two days before). Paper 2 was also reasonable and I found I had a lot to say for the essays and I understood the data-based once I remembered that greenhouse gases trap heat (thus raising temp and therefore photosynthesis rates), although "deduce the phylum" ticked me off as horribly esoteric and just a "REALLY?!?!" question. But then I went and held a baby goat at my school's agricultural farm and I felt better.

Umm seeing as we've been doing practice p1 questions for all 2 years, for every topic, and 3 full p1s in class. I'm surprised I actually looked at it a 2nd time before sleeping. I also only need a 5 for credit at my college, for any class so I don't really need to aim too high :P

I don't know, biology was just ridiculously easy in my opinion, the whole class/curriculum =/ I'm hoping it gets harder in college honestly.

I think I might have screwed up the data based question. All I remember is the shaded parts of the graph grew more but I feel like in my head I was telling myself that the pollutants would stop growth and so I switched everything without actually thinking...might have blown half that question because of carelessness (even after checking it...) but everything past maybe those 4-5 marks I'm pretty sure I got everything. Hopefully the super easy part B will make up for my idiocy in part A XD

^ i hope you get a 7M and cry over it...

seriously dude...

what if someone felt that was the hardest test ever and they're gonna get an IB 1... and not get their diploma because of it...

anyways... personally, that exam felt good

and i wrote a one page essay on my paper two to the examiner... you know, just for fun... i talked about the weather, how things are going in Canada and all the good stuff... you know... it was FUNNY ok?

so yea, hope i don't fail because i did that... :blum:

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak
  • Like 1

^ i hope you get a 7M and cry over it...

srsly dude, wtf...

what if some1 felt that was the hardest test ever and they're gonna get an IB 1... and not get their diploma because of it...

anyways... personally, that exam felt good

and i wrote a one page essay on my paper two to the examiner... you know, just for fun... i talked about the weather, how things are going in Canada and all the good stuff... you kno... it was FUNNY ok?

so yea, hope i don't fail because i did that... :blum:

He can do what he wants. It's his exam, not yours. And I didn't get the sense that he was rubbing it in our faces or anything.

(For the record, you can fail one exam. If someone is failing another one, or more, then they probably don't deserve to attain the Diploma. Minimum requirements are not a new concept.)

Also, someone mentioned that you wouldn't lose marks for doing wrong things, only gaining marks for putting correct answers. Additive marking. Your meteorological analysis likely won't negatively impact you.

Edited by Proletariat

Umm seeing as we've been doing practice p1 questions for all 2 years, for every topic, and 3 full p1s in class. I'm surprised I actually looked at it a 2nd time before sleeping. I also only need a 5 for credit at my college, for any class so I don't really need to aim too high :P

I don't know, biology was just ridiculously easy in my opinion, the whole class/curriculum =/ I'm hoping it gets harder in college honestly.

I think I might have screwed up the data based question. All I remember is the shaded parts of the graph grew more but I feel like in my head I was telling myself that the pollutants would stop growth and so I switched everything without actually thinking...might have blown half that question because of carelessness (even after checking it...) but everything past maybe those 4-5 marks I'm pretty sure I got everything. Hopefully the super easy part B will make up for my idiocy in part A XD

Yeah, I felt it like the data-based question was really challenging since a lot of my classmates didn't review the carbon cycle or greenhouse gases at all since we never discussed it in class. And the fact that it's so counter-intuitive. At first I was just thinking, "WHAT? Pollution increasing growth? What is this?" Took a bit more understanding than just looking at the graphs :/

Yeah, I felt it like the data-based question was really challenging since a lot of my classmates didn't review the carbon cycle or greenhouse gases at all since we never discussed it in class. And the fact that it's so counter-intuitive. At first I was just thinking, "WHAT? Pollution increasing growth? What is this?" Took a bit more understanding than just looking at the graphs :/

It is counter-intuitive, because you actually shouldn't be using any background knowledge in the answer. It is strictly data analysis, so I imagine the answer would have been along the lines of "the data of the two graphs appear to suggest that pollution may promote growth in Blah blahblahblah; however, other possible contributing factors, such as predation upon rural trees, are not considered/shown."

Yea, not a good thing to do. I'm pretty sure though that my previous answers were reversed because of this reason but I don't think "Error carried forward" works for this kind of thing. I think it should though because if the person actually thinks (and answered) that the polluted area had less growth and then wrote the hypothesis like that then it would be "correct" to them because of their previous answer =/

But I can also see IB just saying something along the lines of "you should of checked the data for every question, your fault!" but I don't know.

How did you do? I think it was great!! P1 was easy and P2 had a great section A! I said that the stem cells were in interphase and that the other two processes were DNA replication and protein synthesis... I choose 5 and 7 to answer from Section B... I had sort of a difficulty in answering the question "which processes lead to genetic variation of the sperm of an adult male"... Should I describe the process of spermatogenesis??? Competitive and non competitive, differences between oogenesis and spermatogenesis and IVF were really easy! I am predicted a 5 but I think that was a 6! :P

I thought they were pretty good too. I always find it annoying how there are those data-based questions that require little to no background information to score fairly well on, like the entire first question with the graphs.

About the two processes though, didn't it only ask for one?!?! I only put protein synthesis.....bahh, I hope I didn't read that wrong otherwise that's such an easy mark lost =[

For P1 what was the answer to the question about Crohn's disease and villi? I can't remember it that well at all but anyways it was one of the only few I wasn't sure abut. If one of the answers had to do with not digesting fats I'm pretty sure that's what I put

I thought they were pretty good too. I always find it annoying how there are those data-based questions that require little to no background information to score fairly well on, like the entire first question with the graphs.

About the two processes though, didn't it only ask for one?!?! I only put protein synthesis.....bahh, I hope I didn't read that wrong otherwise that's such an easy mark lost =[

For P1 what was the answer to the question about Crohn's disease and villi? I can't remember it that well at all but anyways it was one of the only few I wasn't sure abut. If one of the answers had to do with not digesting fats I'm pretty sure that's what I put

I figured since the lipases are secreted by the pancreas, the breakdown of fats would still occur, so I went with the absorption of whatever the stuff was.

Yeah, my biology teachers were discussing that question, which actually took me by surprise since we've been trained to think, "ABSORPTION!" when we see the word "villi."

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the multiple choice questions. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I got 100%.

Then paper 2 happened. I butchered the data analysis question as usual. The classification question was beautiful and most of the structured short answer were good. The extended response questions were horrible.

I felt that this year was especially horrible for the abundance of topic 5 and scarcity of topic 8.