Help with Economics IA structure

I am writing my first real Economics IA on an article about monopolies.

In it I plan on comparing a monopoly with an oligopoly can i give the basic points of each market type in point structure and then just compare them a bit later?

Why are you talking about oligopolies if your article is about monopolies (or is your article about both structures)? I wouldn't use point form for a commentary by the way, it looks more professional to type using full sentences and paragraphs.

Really the aim of an economics IA is to find an event that is happening and analyze it with what you learned about economics. So what is happening with this monopoly? I think a little more info would help :P

As the poster above says, definitely do not use point form. The purpose of the commentary is not to discuss theory without any purpose. Only discuss concepts that are directly applicable to the article. Analyze and evaluate the article the the situation it describes using relevant theory. IB examiners are not seeking how well you can paraphrase theory from your textbook, but rather want to see your ability to apply and analyze relevant theory to a real life situation (in the article).

So yeah, as Summer Glau said, you will get better replies if you can provide more info on the article/situation.

talk about the problem in the article.

define any important economic terminologies used in the article. draw a diagram if possible. explain what happened, make reference to diagram if possible. evaluate the solutions given by the article. otherwise suggest your own solutions and evaluate them.

you don't talk about theories alone. explain the situation in the article using your economic knowledge.

Economics commentaries are in aim of allowing students to apply economic theory into real life situations. So you have to find an article that is recent to talk about.

First you define economic terminologies, however do it coherently and cohesively, not as a list of definitions. Then you summarise the main points of the article/event and what economic concepts are linked to the article. You then start your evaluation and from an economics perspective, how this arises, what are the consequences, how these issues can be solved. Basically it is an analysis in terms of economics. Diagrams are a must, additionally you have to also explain your diagrams and not treat it as a separate matter that sticks in the very end of your commentary.

Diagrams should be clearly labelled. The word limit is 650-750, including all labels of diagrams

Remember, an evaluation includes:

- short-term & long-term consequences

- impact to different stakeholders

- prioritising the argument

- advantages and disadvantages

Good luck!

• Like 1