French: How hard is it to get a 7?

I was just wondering how difficult it is to get a Level 7 in French B at SL.

I've been learning French for a few years now, about 6 years. I haven't done French for a year now (since I did it throughout MYP but not IB Year 1, and I have French in Year 2, so I would have to revise before Year 2 starts).

Is it relatively easy to get a 7 if you work hard and follow the teacher's guidance, or do you need to do stuff outside class (i.e. like reading French books in your spare time) to get a 7. How difficult is it?

Is there anyway to "ensure" that you will get a 7?

Any comments are appreciated.

Feel free to compare the difficult of French B SL with other subjects (i.e. like the ones I have below).

It is not too hard and not too easy either (in terms of the current syllabus). I, personally just made a good attempt, followed the teacher's guidance, and knew what IB expected on the exams very very well and was able to get my 7. One advice I can give you is to build a strong vocab base which will help you in both paper 1 and 2. In paper 2 know the markbands really well, incorporate some higher level of grammatical knowledge ( subjonctif etc.), some appropriate idiomatic phrases, and follow the structure required (letter, journal, etc). Knowing what you are up against in the exams and what is expected by a level 7 response from IB would be the best way to ensure your 7.

• Like 1

IBSL French is good as long as you have a good basis of vocabulary to put in your essay. Paper 1 is quite simple, it relies on comprehension solely and many many people get a 7 in it. Paper 2 on the other hand is graded a bit harsher. You need to impress the examiners by choosing a topic from 5 or 6 topics to write a 250 word essay on. You must know the correct formats of things such as a journal entry, a letter, etc. But just make sure you understand the rules of verb tenses and have a good basis of vocabulary and the 7 will be evident :) good luckk

• Like 1

It's not impossible, but I think it's more difficult than some other subjects like say... math. (SL math, that is, I see that you're doing HL)

Since the exam is only out of 70, you can only afford to lose so many marks. I don't know if I can get a seven... but I'm aiming for one.

The good thing about these exams is, you have PLENTY of time. Don't overwrite for Paper 1 Part D or Paper 2... and remember to check everything over!!!! I'm pretty sure you know your stuff, just don't let silly mistakes cost you marks. And read the marking notes for previous exams, it helps.

Good luck :)

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)
  • Like 1

GLHF... I have my exams tomorrow and I'm sorta stressing out right now... I think getting a seven is not really difficult considering the number of people who got it at our school last year. But my biggest advice is to be careful about what you put in Paper 1 sections A through C because if you have extra words when you are answering questions, they may not give you the marks. Also, be sure to write less than 220 words for Part D. My teacher(who is also a marker) says that it's the convention to stop reading at 220 words or so.

Good Luck!!! :D

• Like 1

The advice given above is something to really follow especially about parts A to C. Additionally for part D - don't waste time or words on making the quality of your writing fancy because it is solely marked on the content (your ability to pick stuff out of the article). I would fill in the space provided for the answer because you need a certain number of points from the article to score a 10/10/ on part D. Good luck on the French B papers!

Edited by master135

• 4 weeks later...

A 7 in french B SL is quite possible!

I think that it is best to be doing especially well in text D of paper 1 (since it is based on your structure e.g letter, diary entry and using the information given in the text) and paper 2. The markscheme for paper 1 is very strict and specific, it is basically testing your vocabulary. In paper 2, it is good to put in a few connecting words (e.g. donc, de plus), idioms and different verb tenses (conditional, subjunctive etc.)

Reading french books and the french news is a good idea. Also try going through all the past papers. I found that paper 1 questions tend to be in a chronological order e.g. the answer to the first question can be found at the beginning of the text, with a few questions about the overall text.

• Like 1

Well, I have chosen French B HL, even though I've been learning French for only 4 years. Honestly, I find the Paper 1 quite easy - although you may not have a rich vocabulary, you can understand everything from the context and choose an appropriate word/phrase/etc. My teacher says that the most important thing is to use an appropriate language style and vocabulary (soutenu/familier) while writing an essay in Paper 2. Once she also said that it was easier to choose a formal style letter, for the majority of the candidates only knew this type of vocabulary!

Anyway, good luck for everyone in your French exams!:)