Biology HL Paper 1&2 - TZ2

suggaplum

I thought some of the questions in the multiple choice was odd. Like the one where we had to state which cell was most like the leaf mesophyll layer.

For paper 2, I thought the data response was alright but the structured factual recall was :( since there was ecology. For section B, I did questions 5 & 8.

I liked the mesophyll layer question, hated the classification qeuestion as I didn't study it!! And the one of which had more nuclei confused me :S I loved paper 2 great section B questions, I did 6 and 8. Only problem is I got negative and positive feedback mixed up!! I explained the proper process but called skin and temperature homeostasis positive feedback and oxytocin negative feedback, will that mean I get 0 for those questions?

For paper 2, I thought the data response was alright but the structured factual recall was :( since there was ecology. For section B, I did questions 5 & 8.

I answered the same questions!

I really liked paper 2, but yeah I didn't know what to write for 9 marks for the vaccination question so I wrote everything I knew about it and I'm a little worried it wasn't what IB expected :S

Anyways, what did you guys answer to the last data analysis question? The one about the hypothesis?

Anyways, what did you guys answer to the last data analysis question? The one about the hypothesis?

I wrote that it's wrong and that in fact opposite can be concluded, and then explained by stating the data. (I don't really remember what it was, but it seemed simple)

Phewww thank you! That's what I wrote :)

What about the question about energy and nutrient flow? I was a little bit confused with this one :S

I wrote that it's wrong and that in fact opposite can be concluded, and then explained by stating the data. (I don't really remember what it was, but it seemed simple)

Phewww thank you! That's what I wrote :)

What about the question about energy and nutrient flow? I was a little bit confused with this one :S

I was confused about this one as well... I wrote something like nutrients are recycled within the same food web by saprotrophs and detritivores whereas energy does not necessarily get recycled within the same system. That's the only answer I could think of... Hope it's correct but I doubt so?

And as for Paper 1 I found it much easier than the previous years. The spongy mesophyll question was strange I have to agree but the answer is quite apparent isn't it?

Paper 2 Section B I did 5 and 6 but I totally messed up the light-independent question for q6. Got mixed up with the stuff from Krebs Cycle into the Calvin Cycle. Bleh!

Edited by I`m Potato

I thought paper 1 was a bit weird, but I liked it...what did people say for the question about food chains...it was something like "Which best describes the organisms in the diagram when looked at altogether?" I was a bit confused with the question about homologous characteristics too..

Paper 2 was alright too...the short answers were fine, but I didn't think section B was that great..mainly because of the 8/9 mark questions. I ended up doing 5 and 6. What was the answer for the glomerulus question about differences and similarities in blood?

what about the last question in paper 1 about reproduction? i put uneven cytoplasm in sperms....but that should be wrong...i think it was that sperms have more chromosomes than egg cell

If i remember correctly, I think I put B.. if you still remember what the ansewr actually was. But sorry to say, definitely not uneven cytoplasm of sperms, that only applies to egg cells as there's only one egg that generates and the other are polar bodies. It is also not the fact that sperms have more chromosomes than the egg cell since they are both haploid cells.

Difference: Glucose concentrationSimilarity: Erythrocyte concentration.Pathetic, I know. Hahahaha. I really had no clue about that question that's why.

I guessed glucose concentration as well and put that both were oxygenated for the similarity :S...I was gonna revise this, but then I thought "nahhhh" haha oh well..only 2 marks I think.

what about the last question in paper 1 about reproduction? i put uneven cytoplasm in sperms....but that should be wrong...i think it was that sperms have more chromosomes than egg cell
If i remember correctly, I think I put B.. if you still remember what the ansewr actually was. But sorry to say, definitely not uneven cytoplasm of sperms, that only applies to egg cells as there's only one egg that generates and the other are polar bodies. It is also not the fact that sperms have more chromosomes than the egg cell since they are both haploid cells.

The answer was that sperm cells have a larger surface area/volume ratio than egg cells...well at least that's what I put :P

Paper 1: I found it odd to have so much stimulus material - for example the pedigree chart that pertained to 3 questions?

Did anyone think the mark allocation was really weird in paper 2?

I did question 6/7... mark allocation for the transpiration part was totally out of whack, seriously 9 marks for define and some explain?

I didn't do 8 because I didn't know what to write for 9 marks on the 'principles of vaccines?'

oh I thought the principles of vaccines was a weird question, I just wrote EVERYTHING I know about them, they won't take marks off for writing more will there, I ended up needed 2 extra sheets of paper :S

Hahaha me too! I was like: whaaaat am I going to write for NINE marks? So I talked about EVERYTHING, literally everything: how it works, how antibodies are made, the benefits and danger and I drew the little graph...

I think they were looking for primarily on a discussion for the clonal selection and the challenge and response principles. That's what pops up in my mind when I saw the question in the exam. Other than that I don't see what else you can write about...

Oh, and the primary and secondary responses? But for that there isn't really much to write about isn't it.

Edited by I`m Potato

I think they were looking for primarily on a discussion for the clonal selection and the challenge and response principles. That's what pops up in my mind when I saw the question in the exam. Other than that I don't see what else you can write about...

Oh, and the primary and secondary responses? But for that there isn't really much to write about isn't it.

Well, I guess we just have to wait for the markscheme to find out what they really expected.

What about the 8(a) question? The role of the skin in regulating body temperature? We needed to talk about homeostatic control right? And sweat and hair and skin arterioles contracting/dilating?

Yeah, thats what I wrote as well, I also added the fact that it is active artificial immunity and what are vaccinations. Nine marks seems so much for a question like that though >< Did anyone include how antibodies are formed when an antigen is encountered? I was thinking of writing that, but I thought it didn't directly relate to vaccinations so I didn't, and examiners have hundreds of papers to mark so I thought i'd just keep my paper short and sweet :angel:

Yeah, thats what I wrote as well, I also added the fact that it is active artificial immunity and what are vaccinations. Nine marks seems so much for a question like that though >< Did anyone include how antibodies are formed when an antigen is encountered? I was thinking of writing that, but I thought it didn't directly relate to vaccinations so I didn't, and examiners have hundreds of papers to mark so I thought i'd just keep my paper short and sweet :angel:

Hehe I explained active immunity too! But yeah I did talk about the whole antibodies production process. But I don't think they'd take marks off if we wrote too much stuff?

They wouldn't but it might bore them out. Haha. Yeah suggaplum's right. I think a complete answer would be something like discussing about:

i) Active immunity

ii) Passive immunity

iii) Monoclonal Production (?)

iv) Definition of Vaccination

That'd be worthy of a 9 marks question.