HL Bio P3 TZ1

Drake Glau

I did E and H, pretty good stuff. I was excited over the lack of behavior question for topic E, those would have gone bad. I did enjoy the end "essay" questions (the 6 pointers) over how the ear hears and over the secretion of ADH. Could have been much worse in my opinion but not this year! :D

E and H. Found them to be generally very easy, and it went much better than P1 and 2.

Was it just me, or were the diagrams with H. pylori incorrect? I think one cell was improperly labelled, and another just looked weird in terms of its amount of diffusion.

I also didn't study myoglobin at all; I actually recalled it from memory from class, when we learned it just over a year ago >_>

E and H. Found them to be generally very easy, and it went much better than P1 and 2.

Was it just me, or were the diagrams with H. pylori incorrect? I think one cell was improperly labelled, and another just looked weird in terms of its amount of diffusion.

I also didn't study myoglobin at all; I actually recalled it from memory from class, when we learned it just over a year ago >_>

I remember thinking that they were incorrectly labeled too. But then I had to stop fixating on it and move on...I had to read the intro many times. What did you say about the hypothesis and whether it was supported? I disagreed with it, saying they do not want to inhibit the membrane protein, but to increase the amount of them.

I remember thinking that they were incorrectly labeled too. But then I had to stop fixating on it and move on...I had to read the intro many times. What did you say about the hypothesis and whether it was supported? I disagreed with it, saying they do not want to inhibit the membrane protein, but to increase the amount of them.

I can't remember the wording of the hypothesis >< but I get the feeling that I might've ended up agreeing with it? Do you remember the wording?

I don't remember exactly but the basis of it was that H. Pylori would decrease the enzymes ability to bring the pH back to neutrality.

I agreed with it with the data with the DIDS thing since it was acting as the H Pylori for their experiment. The pH was high for the experimental data and it was a pH decrease (towards neutrality) that was measured. The modified cells had the highest decrease and the modified cells with the DIDS had about half of that value. So I just explained how if it affected the modified cells by about half and those had an exaggerated number of the enzyme then the normal cells would be really inhibited because enzyme saturation would be very possible.

E and H were pretty decent, although I'm sorta iffy about the H. pylori question as it took me a few reads to really absorb what the info was saying. Overall though I'm hoping I did well enough for a 7!

Does anyone remember the answer they got for the calculation question in option E about the allo-parenting birds? I realized I read the graph wrong with about 2 minutes left to go, and ended up putting 4.16% repeating. I wasn't sure what decimal place to round to but I hope that's right. Also, what sort of answers did people put for the question that was along the lines of "suggest a reason why the birds spend most of their time at the colony"? I still can't come up with an adequate answer and it's really bugging me aha

Umm 25%? It asked how much of the overall time was spent resting on sea. You should have used the graph on the left and it ended up being 2/8=25%

I said to feed their young, which kind of goes against the alloparenting thing XD

Unless it wanted you to use both graphs in which case it would have been 25%*the percent of the other graph...but I didn't do that =/

Edited by Drake Glau

Umm 25%? It asked how much of the overall time was spent resting on sea. You should have used the graph on the left and it ended up being 2/8=25%

I said to feed their young, which kind of goes against the alloparenting thing XD

Unless it wanted you to use both graphs in which case it would have been 25%*the percent of the other graph...but I didn't do that =/

I had 25% initially but I'm pretty sure that percentage is for the Total time spent at sea (or something like that) whereas it was asking for the time Resting at sea. I think lol. So yeah, I think you had to multiply the percentages of the two graphs together, at least that's what I did the second time around.

Yeah, it was 25%. You were supposed to use the graph that depicted total time spent, not the other one.

I also said they probably spent their time at colony to feed young, but never said it had to be the young of the parents specifically. Tied it to altruism by hypothesizing the average being so high, even with non-parenting birds in the mix, because those birds would still be taking care of young while actual parents go out to feed/hunt.

Yeah, it was 25%. You were supposed to use the graph that depicted total time spent, not the other one.

I also said they probably spent their time at colony to feed young, but never said it had to be the young of the parents specifically. Tied it to altruism by hypothesizing the average being so high, even with non-parenting birds in the mix, because those birds would still be taking care of young while actual parents go out to feed/hunt.

Hmm I was so sure there was a calculation involved between the two graphs, like I said above. I went (0.25)(1/6)...ugh, if I changed it from right to wrong I'm going to be so annoyed despite the fact it was just one mark.

I did D and G and got very lucky because the long answer questions were on things I actually knew! Bio was my last exam and I found myself getting burnt out toward the end. I had already graduated plus I was sick, but I ended up getting the exact right questions. I think I got a 5, probably the best could ever get in a science. Anyone else do D and G? What did you think?

Hmm I was so sure there was a calculation involved between the two graphs, like I said above. I went (0.25)(1/6)...ugh, if I changed it from right to wrong I'm going to be so annoyed despite the fact it was just one mark.

You'll never know if you missed it until they release the markscheme and then you actually go find it and remember to look :P

You'll never know if you missed it until they release the markscheme and then you actually go find it and remember to look :P

Haha yeah, that's exactly what I intend to do XD