Visual Arts theme help?

IBdrowning

Here are my ideas so far:

The role of women throughout the ages

women in today's society

third culture (inspired by the years I spent living in Africa)

the effect of words on the way we think (inspired by what a wise mentor once said to me: "When folks use words such as "always" and "never", they are "all or nothing" thinkers and as such will always be sheep and never shepherds. The reason for this is that shepherds have to think and reason, sheep simply follow a familiar and

unchanging voice. Keep thinking, young woman.")

I need help narrowing it down to just one or two ideas to present to my teacher. Any new ideas would also be appreciated. What is your theme?

i think they're a bit too specific. You should try something broader so you won't be so limited whenever a theme is given to you. I don't know about you guys, but we pick a theme, and then our teacher gives us themes (e.g. Gender) that we work into using our own themes.

I'm a bit secretive about my theme haha, but I can tell you some other people's (I'm so evil)

'Growth and Decay'

'Technology VS Nature'

'Fashion'

You can see how these can be played more around with.

i agree with pudding milk that your themes are too specific..but you do not have to necessarily have a specific theme. For example, my theme is death because i fear dying, so i ask myself questions as to WHY i am afraid of dying and i try to find the answers through my art, but once in a while i move away from that theme entirely to try and incorporate my own culture and religion into my art (IB is looking for lots of culture, culture , culture..) but sometimes i link my religion into my theme. I could give you a few ideas, but PLEASE make sure that your theme relates to you and is mostly about you, yes, art is a selfish subject but if you put your emotions into your pieces and theme, you'll be sure to do amazing=) [just make sure you develop these ideas in your IWB]

Since you already have ideas of women in society your could try look at the oppression of women in society and maybe link that to youself somehow, like maybe try incorporate your idea of third culture as well, since i see that you stayed in Africa, and share what you saw and experienced in Africa and how you feel about that. I live in Africa so i know what you mean and can relate to your topic of third culture. My opinion is that mixing these 2 ideas into 1 is your best bet. Remember: CULTURE, CULTURE, CULTURE and of course YOURSELF.

If you need more help and ideas, dont be afraid to contact me :)

x

I totally agree with Jazzy. Visual Arts is just about CULTURE, CULTURE and yourself. My best advice is that you should not force any theme into your artworks, I´d rather say: let your theme come to your works. You have plenty of time as you have your exam in May 2013 so start by investigating artists works, techniques and themes that are pertinent to your interests. (this interests may or may not be your final theme, just explore!)

I got a 4 in visual arts last november and I think I overcharged my theme and forced it too much. Best of luck! and be reflective, creative and inspiring!

I wouldn't go so far as to say your ideas are too narrow, however I would choose an idea which can be interpreted many different ways. My theme was "being small", roughly so anyway, and I used this in a lot of different ways. Ignorance, loneliness, confusion, and fear were some of the subthemes of my work. I also took a few more positive examples, such as wonder in the face of things greater than oneself, and physical smallness being a strength rather than a weakness. Now, I haven't gotten my grades yet so I don't know whether I've done things right or not, but the examiner seemed fairly pleased, and my teacher as as well. Try to choose something different and original, and make sure you aren't going to get stuck for ideas after 2-3 works. Good luck :)

Edited by snarker

I disagree with these other people XD

I think your themes sound great

Personally I lean towards "The role of women throughout the ages" cuz I myself can think of many ideas to work on if this were my theme.

I think that your themes are fine because they let you work with culture specifically and it's hard to loose focus when your themes are as specific as yours.

My own theme is also pretty specific, so. :V

It's "Those who were raised elsewhere but grew up in the USA." Like, kids living in the capitalist US with traditional asian/african families or whatever. Yeah.

Now, listening to these others, I think I might broaden my theme to "Limits" or "Freedom," and just use the "USA kids with trad families" for a couple of my pieces.. Hmm.

Talk to your art teacher about it :'D

Edited by jtnt

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys i need help! so my theme is about 'emotion' people says it's too specific and i'm having trouble writing it because i just don't know what to write or how to start it :'( i have many great ideas but i'm still confused about culture.... and do you know any sites that will give me a broader art vocabulary???

Edited by ellena