Biology HL Paper 3 - TZ2

suggaplum

I did Option E - Neurobiology and Behaviour and Option H - Further Human Physiology

Did anyone think it is odd how there was a complete 6 mark questions simply on cocaine and its social effects? I was expecting something on behaviour (which i frankly would not prefer).

I did Option F - Microbes and Biotechnology and Option G - Ecology!

Both of which, in my opinion, are super easy this year! Especially for Option F which is pretty much a repetition of questions from previous sessions (6 mark epidemiology). Option G was super awesome as well with that extremely simple 6 mark r-strategy/K-strategy question! Aiming for near full marks for this one~

I did Option E - Neurobiology and Behaviour and Option H - Further Human Physiology

Did anyone think it is odd how there was a complete 6 mark questions simply on cocaine and its social effects? I was expecting something on behaviour (which i frankly would not prefer).

And yes. I thought it was rather dull that they had something like that. Everyone in my class did that option except me (I self-studied Option F instead because I really don't like neurobiology -.-), and my friend self-studied option H and found the chemosensors in the blood question odd, as well as the oxygen dissociation curve difficult.

Edited by I`m Potato

I did the same options! I liked option E, but for option H, the H. pylori question was weird, I didn't really know what to say for 6 marks :S

Edited by Alex1307

And yes. I thought it was rather dull that they had something like that. Everyone in my class did that option except me (I self-studied Option F instead because I really don't like neurobiology -.-), and my friend self-studied option H and found the chemosensors in the blood question odd, as well as the oxygen dissociation curve difficult.

I liked the chemoreceptor question and the myoglobin thingy! I really loved this option :)

But yeah the one thing I didn't really study (the stupid stomach cancer/ulcer part) was on the test... I wanted something on liver!!

I self studied Option H since i didn't like ecology :S and I also thought the oxygen dissociation curve was quite an odd one. I wasn't sure what they wanted since they just said to describe the curve, so the best way was simply just to draw it I guess. I don't the behaviour part of Option E, however I LOVE the brain part 8-)

I did the same options! I liked option E, but for option H, the H. pylori question was weird, I didn't really know what to say for 6 marks :S

I thought both options were okay, H.pylori was alright for me however the stomach cancer part may have been a bit odd. As I said above, I thought the oxygen dissociation curve one was harder though

I thought both options were okay, H.pylori was alright for me however the stomach cancer part may have been a bit odd. As I said above, I thought the oxygen dissociation curve one was harder though

Yeah you're actually right. Did you draw the curve?

I just explained what was myoglobin and its use and stuff and that it dissociates as a lower P02 than hemoglobin... But yeah I'm really not sure!

And what about the chemoreceptors? It was aorta and carotids right?

I just explained what was myoglobin and its use and stuff and that it dissociates as a lower P02 than hemoglobin... But yeah I'm really not sure!

I did option D & H.

H.pylori - Personally I thought it was ridiculous for another 6 mark question.. but I talked about how HCl & pepsin would bore holes into the stomach wall.

Myoglobin - Explained using PCO2 and drew a graph showing adult haemoglobin and myoglobin

Chemoreceptors - aorta is correct, not sure about carotids. I also wrote, medulla oblongata and hypothamalus?

I did option D & H.

H.pylori - Personally I thought it was ridiculous for another 6 mark question.. but I talked about how HCl & pepsin would bore holes into the stomach wall.

Myoglobin - Explained using PCO2 and drew a graph showing adult haemoglobin and myoglobin

Chemoreceptors - aorta is correct, not sure about carotids. I also wrote, medulla oblongata and hypothamalus?

Oh **** yeah I didn't mention medulla oblongata! Ughhh

And what about the enzyme that fixes CO2 in the blood? I said carbonic anhydrase I think...

Yeahyeah, its carbonic anhydrase.

For the question on chemoreceptors, I wrote hypothalamus, carotid artery and the aorta. Im not sure if its the hypothalamus or the medulla oblongata though, I was unsure so i guessed :rolleyes:

Ohwell, its over and done with >) I thought the long questions were very unexpected though. Stomach ulcers and cocaine.

How were the other options? Did anyone do evolution?

Yep, I did evolution! It was alright yeah, for the 6 mark question we had to discuss the gaps in the fossil record (just in general) and explain the uncertainties about human evolution as a result.. which wasn't too bad (thinking about it, you could probably answer that one fairly well without even studying the topic!)

My other option was neurobiology - was very thankful that I looked over the cocaine bit about 10 minutes before the exam!

They seem to love the question about control of heart rate - I think that's the third paper it's been on, in some form, but usually for more marks..

Yep, I did evolution! It was alright yeah, for the 6 mark question we had to discuss the gaps in the fossil record (just in general) and explain the uncertainties about human evolution as a result.. which wasn't too bad (thinking about it, you could probably answer that one fairly well without even studying the topic!)

My other option was neurobiology - was very thankful that I looked over the cocaine bit about 10 minutes before the exam!

They seem to love the question about control of heart rate - I think that's the third paper it's been on, in some form, but usually for more marks..

Well, I personally don't like evolution since it is still so unknown and some of the answers are tentative, I like solid facts that I can learn etc. Heh, glad it was good though

Well you're lucky you looked over cocaine, I didn't at all but I take chemistry medicine & drugs option so i sorta got the knowledge from there and made something sensible up. I hope I could at least get 4 marks ><

Really? i haven't really seen the questions on heart rate, I wasn't expecting any questions from oxygen dissociation curves since it was in Nov 2010

Guest Chance

I thought the the options I did (Neurobiology and Ecology) were the easiest I'd seen since the spec change, and some of the easiest overall. Pain response, cocaine and addiction? I was giggling like a little girl. Ecology was pretty good as well, I been looking up about ecological niches right before the exam and POOF, there they were. Feeling really good about P3, especially after such a not-great P1.

Well, I personally don't like evolution since it is still so unknown and some of the answers are tentative, I like solid facts that I can learn etc. Heh, glad it was good though

Well you're lucky you looked over cocaine, I didn't at all but I take chemistry medicine & drugs option so i sorta got the knowledge from there and made something sensible up. I hope I could at least get 4 marks ><

Really? i haven't really seen the questions on heart rate, I wasn't expecting any questions from oxygen dissociation curves since it was in Nov 2010

Yeah I'm not too keen on the topic itself either! (Evolution). It can be kind of annoying how they present things as being facts when they aren't actually that certain.. The whole theory is kind of questionable to be honest, I mean how does an organ 'gradually' evolve..? :blink:

• 7 months later...