Is my topic too broad? Please help!

We have read Chronicle of a death foretold, Pedro Paramo, and Dom Casmurro. All of the topics concerning guilt and narrative techniques are taken, so i thought i would talk about comapring animals (actual animals not animal imagery) between Chronicle and Pedro.

I dont have a topic question yet, but in general, i'll be comparing how animals in both seem to either embody the emotion of the people surroudnign them, how animals aid in setting the atmosphere, and how animals are used to show character roles (or character revalations).

Are these too broad? Please help.

Your idea is not too broad in my opinion, but I think you are attempting to analyze too many aspects of the role of animals in the two works. Perhaps you may want to limit down to one aspect only - choose from either:

i) compare how animals in both works seem to either embody the emotion of the people surrouding them

OR

ii) how animals aid in setting the atmosphere

OR

iii) how animals are used to show character roles (or character revelations),

and then refine your topic so that it is more focused.

Personally, I would go for ii) but I have no idea if it is the most appropriate choice for your works since I have never read any of them. i) is a little cloudy in terms of what you are trying to analyze whereas iii) seems to be a little too broad.

Edited by I`m Potato

Thanks for the reply! :D But my problem is mainly the scarcity of support that each could take, which is why i have many aspects (i'm even having trouble finding quotes for the third aspect in pedro, but i have a great argument in chronicle that i dont want to let go of)

Well, then I think you should go for that! It is a good topic to be honest. Now you just need to refine it and come up with a suitable topic! Good luck!

For example,

The roles of animals in (work #1) and (work #2) as the embodiment of the protagonists' emotions.

Then isn't this a little too difficult to analyze? For your essay you should at least have around 7-10 quotations in total (from both works in total, not 10 from each work). You may want to reconsider about this topic then if you find it hard to search for quotations.

The essence of writing a WL is that you need to be precise and focused on a topic - a topic that can be analyzed thoroughly in 1,500 words maximum. So if you choose to write about all 3 aspects then you have a disadvantage of having too much quotations dominating your word count and insufficient analysis. Alternatively, you may probably be spending a lot of the word count trying to explain situations if you present to the examiners with so many different aspects that you wish to talk about. As a result, your WL won't be in depth enough to score high marks.

Edited by I`m Potato

I think your topic of the animals is good especially for Chronicle of a Death Foretold but i haven't read the other two books. My topic for world lit is the use of animals to exacerbate the brutality of murder and death in the play Antigone and Chronicle of a Death Foretold.