Biology SL P1, P2 and P3 TZ2

kasandude

Guest Chance

I thought paper one was one of the hardest multiple choice papers I'd seen, but the paper two was easier than average and the paper three for my topics (Neurobio. and Ecology) were the easiest I'd come across. Very, VERY mixed bag.

Paper one was tricky because the question did not often refer to syllabus questions but the excessive 45 minutes gave me time to think about them so it went pretty well. Second paper was easy and I'm pretty satisfied with the third paper even though I studied for it for like 2 hours only. Generally biology is piece of cake comparing to other subjects.

Guest Soiboist

In paper 1 there was a question like what defines a thing as alive (or something like that) so was it movement or metabolism or the presence of DNA ?

Metabolism.

Plants for instance are sessile and still live, so it cannot be movement. Some organisms have RNA instead of DNA, and so it cannot be the presence of DNA. :)

In paper 1 there was a question like what defines a thing as alive (or something like that) so was it movement or metabolism or the presence of DNA ?

Metabolism.

Plants for instance are sessile and still live, so it cannot be movement. Some organisms have RNA instead of DNA, and so it cannot be the presence of DNA. :)

I put down movement, because it was on the list of about seven or so things all "living organisms" do. I guess by movement they mean when flowers bloom or grow...

That said, paper 1 was full of tricky questions. But the other two papers were hard to mess up, mainly because of the data response questions, which are basically bonus points, and also the actually questions on my options (A and E) were so easy. I was expecting all the papers to be much harder. I just hope they give me points for the reflex diagram, because I accidentally wrote "relay neuron" instead of "relay nerve." I made these kinds of mistakes on past papers and the mark-schemes tend to give little room for them.

Guest Soiboist

Metabolism.

I put down movement, because it was on the list of about seven or so things all "living organisms" do. I guess by movement they mean when flowers bloom or grow...

Well, sometimes in a question there's an answer that is "more right" than the others, and this question is most likely one of those. Whereas movement is required by many living organisms, metabolism is necessary for all of them. And no, motility is not equivalent to, or carried out because of growth.

Apart from P1, which was just easy, this year's Bio papers were the easiest ever. Expecting the boundaries to be really high this year.

what do you mean you expect the boundaries to be really high? Don't you already know them :o, theyre not deduced after exams are corrected isnt it way beforeeeeee they are donee so every student knows what to aim for?

No that is not true. The IB revises their grade boundaries after reviewing all the entries for the session so a new set of grade boundary per subject is decided upon each session. Grade boundaries vary from year to year by approximately +/- 2 marks depending on the overall performance of candidates in each session.

So if this year's biology papers are easy and many candidates do well in it, the threshold will be increased thus grade boundaries will be higher and vice versa.