Good Enough for UPenn?

IBMojo

Hi! I am just wondering what king of scores I should be looking at to attend Upenn, with a scholarship if possible?

My current SAT score is 2320 with 800s in Chemistry and Math II C. I play water polo and was ranked 4th and 10th last year and this year respectively in the province. Also I run track and cross country( I do fairly well in both). I also do a lot of other activities such as youth parliaments, debate, model UNs and organize some aactivities around school as well.

My school is quite competitive, we usually have at least 3 or 4 that go to an ivy and 4 or 5 more that get into a good uni(Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc.) out of 80 or so IB grads. I was just wondering how can I bolster my chances of getting in? And what kind of IB score I'll need.

I have the following IB courses:

English A1 HL

French B SL

Business and Management SL

Mathematics HL

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

Thanks in advance for all or your help :D

Edited by IBMojo

Definitely a good chance of getting in. Ivy League schools (and most schools in general) only give financial aid. Still, with their huge endowments even students from upper middle class families can expect to pay very little.

Thanks for all the help here are a few more details:

City Youth Council Leader

Pres of 2nd largest club in school (approx 130 members)

Youth Parliament Cabinet

MUN Chair and Dias

Organized a benefit concert which raised approx 7500 dollars for children

3 month internship at University of British Columbia

600+ volunteer hrs

I think you have a good shot. You've got the scores and you seem to be very strong in a sport. Try to take another subject test just to improve your chances a little? A lot of people applying to Ivies take at least 3 subject tests even though it's not required. Write a killer essay and I think you should make it.

As for IB scores, just try to do reasonably well. Very few US schools appreciate IB's merits, so I'd say just try to score a 40/45.

some international students do receive financial aid at UPenn. it depends on your own financial situation.

as for scholarships at UPenn, there was none when I applied. Maybe there are some especially reserved for Canadians, you should do some research on that.

your scores/stats look really good. i think all you have to worry about is how you compare with the other students from your school and also how good your essay is. if some kids in your school have won some international awards (such as Olympiad medals) then you will have some stiff competition.

with regards to ib score, i don't know how important your final score will be. wharton accepted me before knowing my final score. i don't think they even care about predicted scores, they didn't ask for mine.

People with perfect stats can get rejected.

So it's a good shot, but not a for sure.

With IVY's you never know. UPenn is not one of the harer ones, but an IVY is still hard to get into. There are people applying who have had 98's as their lowest grade. lolz

So apply, but be on the fence.

Thanks for all of your help! I actually did the SAT II Physics exam in may and got 800 on that too. Also I don't really need the financial aid because I wouldn't get it, as for scholarships I'm not too worried because I have enough saved up.

As said already, its an ivy so can't say anything for sure.

But I've heard that UPenn really values SAT Math scores, so you look really good on that.

Extra curriculars look good, just make sure your essays are good (admissions put a lot of emphasis on those so they really must be good. Make sure that "You" come across in your essays. Dont talk about your achievements, talk about who you are as a person).

• 2 weeks later...

if you are applying to the college of arts and sciences, i think you have a very good chance. 50%+

if you are good enough to make it into varsity waterpolo team, you will definitely get in. but you would have to contact the coach and get recruited.

Edited by Victor L

• 4 weeks later...

i was also looking to get into Upenn wharton school of business, however i recently got a 5 in SL math and they want a strong math background, you think if i score high on the math componenet on the sat and perfect on the SAT II math i will still have a chance?

In my experience, Ivy decisions rarely make sense. I sent out 4 US applications last year: Brown, UPenn, NYFA, and Yale. Of the four, I got rejected by UPenn, but got in everywhere else, including Yale as Undecided. I don't know what I did wrong in my essay for UPenn or my interactions with them, or during my interview, but they just didn't take a shine to me for whatever reason. I had similar achievements as you do and everyone thought I would get in, but it just didn't work out.

So apply t other places at the same time (if you haven't already planned to do so), just to be on the safe side.

Arrowhead.

In my experience, Ivy decisions rarely make sense. I sent out 4 US applications last year: Brown, UPenn, NYFA, and Yale. Of the four, I got rejected by UPenn, but got in everywhere else, including Yale as Undecided. I don't know what I did wrong in my essay for UPenn or my interactions with them, or during my interview, but they just didn't take a shine to me for whatever reason. I had similar achievements as you do and everyone thought I would get in, but it just didn't work out.

So apply t other places at the same time (if you haven't already planned to do so), just to be on the safe side.

Arrowhead.

That's weird, cause I knew a guy who got in every top us school but got regected from yale. This guy had perfect test scores.