Biology EE - ethical issues for culturing bacteria?

juliechan10

Hey!

So I am doing my EE on Biology and I am working on examining the amount of bacteria on certain things which requires swabs/cultures of bacteria and putting them in an incubator

and I was reading the guidelines the other day and say the part about how "Investigations that are likely to have a harmful effect on health (for example, culturing

micro-organisms at or near body temperature), or those which may involve access to, or publication of, confidential medical information, are also not appropriate."

Does this mean that I can't do it?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if that statement is to protect humans or the organisms. The body temperature could denature them and all that good stuff but it seems specific to body temperature which makes me think they're worried that if you able to incubate them at that temperature then they could EASILY spread into a human and cause serious problems because that's their optimum temperature.

I think you can do your idea, just make sure the micro-organism cannot survive at or near 98.6F/37C

I would just avoid 32C-42C altogether and you should be fine I think :)

Edited by Drake Glau