Enquiry for changing courses

I am a DP1 student studying IB in China. Currently I am doing English A2 as my group 2. I would like to change A2 to B(Our teacher is frustrating us..so offensive but true). Though the school officials said it is not possible, one of my classmates even switched between Art and economic just few weeks ago. I wonder if there is any restriction regarding switching courses.

Thanks!

Guest Soiboist

The IBO does not restrict against changing courses until you have actually signed up for the exams, so obviously it is still allowed by them. However your school might have some sort of policy that restricts late changes, but as a student changed just a few weeks ago you should definitely ask them why you're not allowed to change. Ask if the school has a general policy for subject changes, such as that you may not change after a certain date, and if there is no one just refer to that a student was allowed a change just a few weeks ago, and so you should also be allowed. Keep in mind that it is rather late though, and you might need to catch up even though that you're changing to an easier course.

The IBO does not restrict against changing courses until you have actually signed up for the exams, so obviously it is still allowed by them. However your school might have some sort of policy that restricts late changes, but as a student changed just a few weeks ago you should definitely ask them why you're not allowed to change. Ask if the school has a general policy for subject changes, such as that you may not change after a certain date, and if there is no one just refer to that a student was allowed a change just a few weeks ago, and so you should also be allowed. Keep in mind that it is rather late though, and you might need to catch up even though that you're changing to an easier course.

Thanks a lot, it's from A2 to B...So it shouldn't be a big thing. for us B is just like IELTS.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to change my course today but I failed.. They kept saying that I don't have enough hours for B. Would you kindly offer some offfical evidences regarding course restriction. I shall prepare to fight again.

Thanks

I think the theory is that if you're competent enough to be taking a language at A2 level, it's unfair for you to take it at an easier level. It's one of those things they tend to refuse to let you switch between. Somewhere in the IB syllabus for languages it explains how much experience you're expected to have had to take languages at specific levels, and technically your school is bound to enforce those rules. Some schools don't, but they are meant to. Try downloading and reading through the syllabus (check in the Files section of this website) and see. I can't recall the exact rules off the top of my head.

Guest Soiboist

I can't interpret exactly what they meant with that you don't have "enough hours for B", but it might be that your total hours of the B course won't add to the required 150 hours as you have been in A2 for rather long. Honestly, it is indeed a rather late change to do, because I suppose that you for instance already have done your IOP and IOC. I would at least consider staying in A2, and if you're taking the IB in English it will even help you to do so. Moreover it is not a tough course; if you think your teacher lacks the ability to teach you can probably study for the exam by yourself. There are study guides and books written for IB English that you can have a look at, and there are very well-written guides at this forum that may help you.

However, if you really want to change at least the IBO won't mind, but more than that is difficult for me to say. I can't really analyse your coordinator and how he or she is best persuaded, so you'll have to figure that by yourself in case of that you absolutely want to change.

I can't interpret exactly what they meant with that you don't have "enough hours for B", but it might be that your total hours of the B course won't add to the required 150 hours as you have been in A2 for rather long. Honestly, it is indeed a rather late change to do, because I suppose that you for instance already have done your IOP and IOC. I would at least consider staying in A2, and if you're taking the IB in English it will even help you to do so. Moreover it is not a tough course; if you think your teacher lacks the ability to teach you can probably study for the exam by yourself. There are study guides and books written for IB English that you can have a look at, and there are very well-written guides at this forum that may help you.

However, if you really want to change at least the IBO won't mind, but more than that is difficult for me to say. I can't really analyse your coordinator and how he or she is best persuaded, so you'll have to figure that by yourself in case of that you absolutely want to change.

First of all thank you for the advice. My coordinator is quite an obstinate person. I don't think there is any other way to persuade him for the change if I don't have evidence from IBO officials to prove that IBO do not mind. There are also other reasons that made such a change difficult (racism for instance). I am looking for IB official documents stating that my proposal of changing course is legal. If there is any kind of evidence, please forward to me. Thx

PS:email address: *****************************

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No email addresses please, if you want someone to contact you or someone wants to, do so via PM-Maha