3D Planes and lines in Space

Papi

Hello :D,

Well I'm currently in Math HL we're doing 3D Planes and lines in space, with questions like x, y, z, finding acute angles, whether they're perpendicular/parallel/coplanar etc... This is still my first year of IB and so far the hardest topic I've come across, I'm finding it really hard to understand (the 2D planes with just x and y are okay, mainly 3D I find difficult).

So my question is, in your experienced opinions, is this chapter one of the hardest? Or is it the horrible truth that if I'm struggling with this /simple/ chapter I've got a very bleak future in Math HL?

Also I get pretty confuse when I look at the Admission Requirements for most Universities they say "36 points at least 6,6,6 in Higher Level topics", now in my school, the 4 years they've been doing IB noone's had even a 5 in Math HL. Since it's currently one of the hardest courses are universities more lenient if Math HL is one of the subjects?

Thanks!

Lines and Planes in Space: Don't worry you aren't the only one. I really disliked this topic when I was first learning it but by exam time it just clicked and I began liking it a lot more. It is one of the more difficult topics to grasp but once you really understand it, it becomes pretty easy. Just keep doing practice questions to get a feel for all the types of questions you may get on your exam, as there aren't really any trick questions you will see in this topic.

I am not sure if universities see Math HL differently, but I would say probably not - although it is one of the most difficult courses in IB.

• 3 months later...

I too found this to be one of the more difficult chapters. Actually difficult doesn't describe it. I hated it. So don't worry if you aren't getting it at first. Half the kids in my HL class gaped at our teacher when he introduced the topic. It took us a lot of practice to figure out but we eventually got it. Don't give up and just keep practicing. It all comes eventually haha

I'm about to start HL maths and I wondering if someone who has pretty much finished HL maths (and hopefully is doing alright in it) can tell me the topics I should really watch-out for - the hardest topics. So that I can get some practice in before the course itself begins. Btw, I heard that polynomial division was slightly dfficult and that the complex number chapter (polar geometry) was challenging too, but this was from an unrealiable source, so who knows!

Probably Vectors is the most challenging HL topic, alot of terminology is confusing at first. Planes, lines etc, makes it difficult to conceptualize it. I found myself having to memorize the stuff instead of understanding it inside out which is pretty frustrating.

Polynomial division isn't difficult at all, wouldn't really worry about it. Complex numbers is not difficult as well in my opinion.

Probably Vectors is the most challenging HL topic, alot of terminology is confusing at first. Planes, lines etc, makes it difficult to conceptualize it. I found myself having to memorize the stuff instead of understanding it inside out which is pretty frustrating.

Polynomial division isn't difficult at all, wouldn't really worry about it. Complex numbers is not difficult as well in my opinion.

Thanks man.

Oh an unlucky for last night! Lost by 3 points!

And yeah, I reckon Walker was held...

• 4 weeks later...