EE topics for English

ibfl

I am in need of some assistance.

my EE advisor denied two of my topics stating that

1. An analysis of the inevitable failure in pursuit of the american dream with specific reference to The Jungle and The Great Gatsby

2. a topic entailing Harry Potter

he said that 1 was far too obvious and that he wasn't letting anyone do one on Harry Potter.

i need another topic.

and i can't seem to find one he will approve.

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

:D

What are the works you have covered so far in the class?

i would like to do an extended essay pertaining to the works of Edgar Allen Poe

Catch 22

Hamlet

Macbeth

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Les Miserables

Great Expectations

Johnathan Livingston Seagull

Romeo and Juliet

The Joy Luck Club

Lord of the Flies

The Cherry Orchard

The Plague

Midaq Alley

The Metamorphosis

& some others that i am probably forgetting

Edited by ibfl

I find it strange that you're not allowed to use Harry Potter as an EE topic, I know successful EEs that have been on Harry Potter (right, Hien?)!

Are you interested in the literary devices Poe uses? You could compare and contrast the use of X and Y in the short stories A and B by Edgar Allan Poe.

i would like to do an extended essay pertaining to the works of Edgar Allen Poe

Catch 22

Hamlet

Macbeth

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Les Miserables

Great Expectations

Johnathan Livingston Seagull

Romeo and Juliet

The Joy Luck Club

Lord of the Flies

The Cherry Orchard

The Plague

Midaq Alley

The Metamorphosis

& some others that i am probably forgetting

i had orginally planned on doing a comparison over the use on symbolism in the metemorphasis and lord of the flies, but i found it difficult to find information on kafka in the libray that i was in, but i found abudant sources on the symbolism of in lord of the flies so i dropped MET.... so if you understand the symbolism in the books you could find a way to use that in some way, my paper actually turned out pretty well.

i did my EE over the symbolism in relation to the theme in lord of the flies.

the only other books i have read off of that list are hamlet and romeo and juliet, and i read them as a frshman and sophmore in MYP so i don't remeber them too well.

________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by HMSChocolate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone what are the examiners really looking for when grading English EEs? Cos i looked at the Ee guide and to me, it was very general. How are you supposed to provide a methodology when you're your EE in English literature?

i am not going to be able to answer your question exactly coz i am not sure how to tel you what they are looking for but i wil tell you how i went about wrting my EE in English. i did about two weeks of research (that is the most out of anyone i know, but i droped 1/2 of my topic after a week see above), and then in did the research in my actual novel. so basically i took quotes out of literary critics books and then went through my book and highlighted EVERYTHING that related to my topic dircctly (bascically every time a symbol was mentioned i highlighted it). then i went through the book and the quotes and chose the ones that supposrted my idaes. i did include a few that diasgreed ith my ideas to show the contrast. you have to rember that an EE is a resarch paper, so you can't just use the book and write down all of you ideas. i i got around this by stating my ideas, and then supporting them for the actual text, and then supporting them further with ideas from litarary crtics.

hope this helps :(