New in IB!

Hi my name is fiqri and im from malaysia.

I'm schedule to enroll in MARA College Banting, Malaysia this 28th juneand of course i have to take the IB programme

So, can you explain to me how this IB programme's all about?

I've read about IB programme in the IBO page, but I still don't understand about this prog and this execution.

so every comment is very much appreciated

Thank You

To be honest, yes, IB is very difficult. IB will be very time-consuming and possibly ruin your social life. However, it is worth it if you do not feel satisfied in standard schooling systems.

-IB has a lot of homework

-It is more rigorous in pace and lessons

-The teachers know way more than you, which is refreshing compared to other programs where you can out-math your math teacher

-It is designed to prepare you for college. Because of the pace in the focus on making you more independent and self-relient in your studies, you are going to sit back and relax your first year in college, instead of freaking oout like everyone around you. Plus, you get about a year and a half of college credits making it way cheaper to go

-Even if you don't pass your IB exams, as long as you get the certificate (which is basically worth nothing compared to the diploma), you have guaranteed acceptance into 80% of the colleges in the world. If you do get the diploma on the other hand, that bounces you up to the top colleges in the world AND gets you quite a bit of scholarship money.

-You'll actually enjoy learning about new things, to the point where you might realize what you really love. I've seen people who want to be neurosurgeons realize that they would actually be better politicians and vice versa.

Overall, it is the best of times, it is the worst of times. You WILL learn to stay up for 36 hours on end. You WILL understand the meaning of sleep-deprivation. And you WILL suffer the emotional consequences of being academically separated from everyone you know... to the point where you suddenly realize that your parents can no longer understand what you are talking about.

But, it's worth it. Unless you want to be and artist or a musician, do it. And if you do, you should do it anyway.

• Like 3

^That depends a lot on your school.

For example, in my Math HL course, I often 'out math' my math teacher.

The rest, is true, though I'm not sure about the guaranteed acceptance bit, can I ask where that's from?

And that last point is really true. As much as I rag on it, ToK is hugely beneficial. For example, this: blew my mind, only because I understand it now, thanks to ToK. No-one else in my family understood the significance of it.

• Like 1

You will quickly learn how to study. Take notes in class, do all your homework, and work together with other IB students. Study groups and splitting up work can really help. Be friendly and don't get too competitive against them. And make sure you spend time with your friends and do meaningful things outside of school. You will be fine! A lot of people start IB not knowing much about it, but they learn and do great.

• Like 1

1-7 is based off grade boundaries that IB makes. It is not your normal grading either where 50-60% is a F and 60-70% is a D and what not. The makrs are made where it's REALLY easy to get a 4 because it has a giant range, and then a 5 has a smaller range, 6 even smaller, and 7 being about the same as 6 but higher up. This makes it easy to be "average" but hard to be "awesome". The way they have it set is so just about anyone who wants to try can get the IB diploma if they try hard enough but it takes serious studying and effort to get higher than that. The ground boundaries really are setup to separate the average from the good from the freaks. :D

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

-IB has a lot of homework

-It is more rigorous in pace and lessons

-The teachers know way more than you, which is refreshing compared to other programs where you can out-math your math teacher

-It is designed to prepare you for college. Because of the pace in the focus on making you more independent and self-relient in your studies, you are going to sit back and relax your first year in college, instead of freaking oout like everyone around you. Plus, you get about a year and a half of college credits making it way cheaper to go

-Even if you don't pass your IB exams, as long as you get the certificate (which is basically worth nothing compared to the diploma), you have guaranteed acceptance into 80% of the colleges in the world. If you do get the diploma on the other hand, that bounces you up to the top colleges in the world AND gets you quite a bit of scholarship money.

-You'll actually enjoy learning about new things, to the point where you might realize what you really love. I've seen people who want to be neurosurgeons realize that they would actually be better politicians and vice versa.

Keep in mind that this is the US way of looking upon the IB. ;) In Europe you would neither be allowed to skip a university year, nor gain admission to a university very easily without a diploma.