Quick pH testing questions :)

ibquestions

I need to test the pH of some soil samples I have, using the strips (the scientific names for them have completely escaped me right now) didn't do what I wanted them to because I wan't an accurate measurement (for example a pH of 6.7) not just a range (6-7).

I was therefore wondering if anyone knew the following: :)

What is an accurate way to test the pH of soil? I have a pH probe handy at my school, but apparently I need to make a solution with it in order to actually test the pH of the soil samples I have? How much soil will I need to actually get these samples?

Thank you for any help, it's much appreciated :)

Thank you :)

I am going to be a pain and ask one final question (sorry >.<)

okay, so i have conducted my experiment by collecting soil samples and using a quadrat technique, etc... but now I can't seem to figure out what the independant, dependant and controlled variables are... i know the pH is the dependant variable... but i am not changing anything to create this. I used random sampling and a quadrat technique to get soil samples and count the number of ferns in each quadrat (to see how pH affects the distribution of this fern species) but where exactly do factors such as "sunlight, moisture, etc" fall? Are they independant varibales? controlled variables? I am so confused :(

Ewww there is no IV really. You tested a correlation of pH vs fern#. pH is your "IV" or your x variable and the fern count is your y variable or your "DV" in this case. This is rather weird. I did something similar for bio but I was able to control a ton of variables =/

Basically you need to do some math with your data (standard deviations, chi squared testing, something) to see if the two variables have any sort of relationship.

Those factors are going to be factors you didn't think of when measuring and need to brought up in your evaluation.

Controlling variables for heart rate is a lot simpler XD

Ummm, crud...you're not going to be able to learn both of those or even one by the time this lab is due =/

Just plot a graph of pH vs fern#, make a line of best fit, and point out some trends in the data and that will pass for processing. Then in your conclusion followup on those trends you pointed out and tie it to what they actually mean.