Scholarships. Arts or Athletics

Chris Kuno

Are you applying for a scholarship?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What scholarship are you applying for?

• Arts Scholarship
    • Sports Scholarship
    • Academic Scholarship
    • No application

• 2 weeks later...

It seems US colleges give out athletic scholarships left, right and centre. I'm not even in the athletic circle at my school, and I know 2 students who've received scholarships (one partial, one full-ride) to play soccer down in the States.

Conversely, I don't know of any school-sponsored arts scholarships. Most Unis give out Faculty-specific scholarships, and certainly amongst McGill's Entrance Scholarships it seems like there's a disproportionate amount reserved specifically for students entering the Faculty of Arts, but that's not really a scholarship for musicianship, literary skill, or any other field that we'd define as "arts", not the same way that "soccer" is considered "sports."

It seems like almost all scholarships are a combination of academics and EC. There are hardly any that are purely one or the other, although it seems like the more "prestigious" the institution you're looking at, the more likely they will place greater emphasis on academic achievement, which makes perfect sense.

• 3 months later...

[quote name=ebsss :)' timestamp='1308315318' post='121074]

i'm planning to apply for a sports scholarship (soccer) to the states! have just taken an SAT and know a few people who will help me with contacts...

any tips on the process required to get accepted etc much appreciated :D

I'm also planning to apply for a sport scholarship- basketball :)