English Extended Essay topic!

spaceisland

Alright, so I am trying to think of an EE topic, but I am still sketchy about a few things... First, which are usually scored higher, History, or English? I am leaning more towards English right now, merely because I am really passionate about it, and I get along very well with the teacher who I'd choose as my advisor... She's really thorough, and makes sure she knows what you're doing... I really enjoy History too though, and our teacher is very involved in the IB program, and used to mark papers...very capable.

Assuming I chose English, I was thinking of comparing Like Water for Chocolate, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, exploring the confinement of women in each piece during the late 19th century and early 20th century, and the manner in which both protagonists are restrained by their domestic roles, but also are also able to express themselves through their tasks... Would something like that work, and am I allowed to use a piece we've studied in class?

Edited by spaceisland

you said ur passionate about english, and i think that's really important. It doesn't really matter which type score higher, but which one you feel you can execute better

i agree. it feels great to do things you like although you don't get high marks. besides, it will help you in your writing...

you may lose interest writing things you don't like, you know..

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, haha.

So I think I might have a potential topic... I've decided on English, and I am thinking of something along the lines of whether or not the classic awe and mystique of ancient Greek mythology is sacrificed, or enhanced through modern renditions, with specific reference to The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, and Weight by Jeanette Winterson....

What do you guys think?