Difference in ring and index finger length

Ring and Index finger ratio  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is you ring finger longer than you index finger?

I have recently come across a very interesting research. It examines the difference between the length of the index and ring finger of a person.

When it comes to men, usually the ring finger is longer than the index finger, while in women it is the other way around or they are of equal length. Researches have shown that the ratio between the length of the index and ring finger is associated with the levels of testosterone and estrogen in a woman's womb.

Usually men are considered better at number-related subjects, such as physics and maths, and the higher levels of testosterone in them account for the development of these skills while in women the higher levels of estrogen account for the increased ability in writing, reading, etc. ,

A good article that discusses this issue is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/success-isnt-written-in-the-stars-its-in-the-length-of-your-fingers-1334251.html

But I wondered if this is true so I thought of asking you too - especially women where the matter becomes more interesting. Is your ring finger longer than you index finger? If yes, are you considered to be good at the above subjects or excel at sports - which is also affected by the hormone levels?

Personally, my ring finger is longer than my index finger and yes I am good at math, chemistry and good at sports so the theory is valid when it comes to me. I also tested this on my sister whose index finger is longer than her ring finger and she is exactly opposite of me. Anyway, I'd love to hear from others too!

• Like 1

interesting topic!!

my index finger is longer than my ring finger.

I'm a girl, I'm good at math and I like the sciences (though I couldn't say I'm good at them).

I used to like reading (I still quite like it but not much) and I like writing.

I suck at the sports.

I have recently come across a very interesting research. It examines the difference between the length of the index and ring finger of a person.

When it comes to men, usually the ring finger is longer than the index finger, while in women it is the other way around or they are of equal length. Researches have shown that the ratio between the length of the index and ring finger is associated with the levels of testosterone and estrogen in a woman's womb.

Usually men are considered better at number-related subjects, such as physics and maths, and the higher levels of testosterone in them account for the development of these skills while in women the higher levels of estrogen account for the increased ability in writing, reading, etc. ,

A good article that discusses this issue is here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/success-isnt-written-in-the-stars-its-in-the-length-of-your-fingers-1334251.html

But I wondered if this is true so I thought of asking you too - especially women where the matter becomes more interesting. Is your ring finger longer than you index finger? If yes, are you considered to be good at the above subjects or excel at sports - which is also affected by the hormone levels?

Personally, my ring finger is longer than my index finger and yes I am good at math, chemistry and good at sports so the theory is valid when it comes to me. I also tested this on my sister whose index finger is longer than her ring finger and she is exactly opposite of me. Anyway, I'd love to hear from others too!

Interesting...

My ring finger is DEFINITELY longer than my index finger, especially on my right hand.

I don't think I'm that great with numbers- I have a feeling my mind is not very numerical- but math has always been one of my best subjects. Along with science (MINUS chemistry :/) and social studies (history, geography etc), even in elementary school. I do like physics a lot. And I'd say my writing is ok, I do well in English and French, but I'm definitely no linguistic genius either... but I find it easier to get higher marks in subjects like math.

I'm very clumsy when it comes to sports, but I enjoy them anyway, so I practised really hard until I wasn't absolutely terrible.

So I guess I'm not really answering your question, because I don't know what I'm good at. I just work really hard (most some of the time..... ). :/

Oh and I'm a girl.

But my sister, I feel like she's very mathematical. She doesn't like math (yet :) ), but I could always tell that she was good with numbers. I'm going to ask her about her finger lengths now!!!

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

My ring finger is longer.

But I hate Math, I can't stand most of the sciences (only take Bio because I have to, and because it's the least math-y of the three), and I love language, literature, and some even more artsy stuff like theatre, cinema, etc.

Although I think the whole alignment of math/language divide with genders probably has some genetic merit to it, I highly doubt that it is significant, and it can certainly be overwritten. Modern genetics show that there are very, very few things about humans that are completely 100% coded in the genome.

• 4 months later...

My ring finger is slightly longer than my index finger. I've always done sports (not super great at them, but I like them and I'm not that bad at them :P), and I've always gotten better grades in math and science than in English. I still like reading though. So judging by that alone, I follow the model.

But I like what Proletariat says.