US Universities' view on Changing Subjects

Simon

From Term 1 to Term 2 in my Junior year, I've made a few changes IB subject wise. I went from:

- English HL to English SL

- Chemistry SL to Chemistry HL

- Mathematics HL to Mathematics SL

- Geography SL to Geography HL

How will universities in the US react to this? It's not really that my grades are bad or anything, but it's more that my interests have changed considerably over the course of the year. Thanks for any feedback on this!

I think universities wouldn't mind so much.

As long as you really did have decent grades, they'll infer, correctly, that your interests simply changed.

It's all really dependent on the program you're applying for too, right?

I see that you went from SL to HL Chem, if you're applying to like maybe Pre-Med, they'll probably like that.

Again, I think it's dependent on the program.

I don't think they'll care as long as you kept up your grades. (:

I think universities wouldn't mind so much.

As long as you really did have decent grades, they'll infer, correctly, that your interests simply changed.

It's all really dependent on the program you're applying for too, right?

I see that you went from SL to HL Chem, if you're applying to like maybe Pre-Med, they'll probably like that.

Again, I think it's dependent on the program.

I don't think they'll care as long as you kept up your grades. (:

Hey thanks. Yeah in Chem, Geo and English i've maintained a 7. In maths im at a 4/5 but yeah I really can't do much better. Hopefully yeah, I'm just going to keep on focusing on my grades, and we'll have to see. Thanks bud :)

Edited by Simon

From Term 1 to Term 2 in my Junior year, I've made a few changes IB subject wise. I went from:

How will universities in the US react to this? It's not really that my grades are bad or anything, but it's more that my interests have changed considerably over the course of the year. Thanks for any feedback on this!

They don't really matter to much, seeing as you're only jumping from HL to SL and reverse. It would be a different story if you switched from English HL to Spanish SL or Geography SL to Music HL.

Also, a lot of people drop Math HL to Math SL during IB, so that's basically normal. :blum:

They don't really matter to much, seeing as you're only jumping from HL to SL and reverse. It would be a different story if you switched from English HL to Spanish SL or Geography SL to Music HL.

Also, a lot of people drop Math HL to Math SL during IB, so that's basically normal. :blum:

Ha ha yeah i'll be the 7th one in my grade :P Thanks for pointing that out to me, elmar; I hadn't realised :D

Ha ha yeah i'll be the 7th one in my grade :P Thanks for pointing that out to me, elmar; I hadn't realised :D

Yea its funny how everyone's like yeah Im pro at math I can do do HL and all the people end up dropping, expect those people who are stuck at 3 HLs or cant switch and then at the end of the day, theres only 1 kid who should be in that class lol. No offense It just brought back memories cause i was one of those kids.

Honestly, I think they could care less.

I live in the U.S. and I went to a college fair and was all like "I'm in IB! Tell me how that makes me speacil!!" (well, not in those exact words lolz)

and the majority of them were like "oh, we give IB kids the same credit, points, GPA push as a honors student".

So since most schools don't even see it as the great thing that it is, they won't care. That is just my opinion.

:/

Honestly, I think they could care less.

I live in the U.S. and I went to a college fair and was all like "I'm in IB! Tell me how that makes me speacil!!" (well, not in those exact words lolz)

and the majority of them were like "oh, we give IB kids the same credit, points, GPA push as a honors student".

So since most schools don't even see it as the great thing that it is, they won't care. That is just my opinion.

:/

Mhm, this is usually what happens. There are only a few schools in the US that give extra credentials to I.B. students. I know the schools in Florida love I.B. kids, but that's only because I live there. I've heard that California universities are grateful as well.