Biology Lab Report with no data

timmotytimmoty

My Lab Report is related to Seed Germination, I had experiment for determine the best condition of pH for Radish seed. There are 3 pots with pH 5, 6, and 7, every flower pot are with 10-15 seeds. None of them had germinated. As the topic title suggests, I've done my work without any data. My teacher said that I can done it without Data collection. What should I do right now? What should I write in the section of Data processing? Is going to be lower mark for failure of the experiment?

• 3 months later...

The first thing I'm going to tell you is never, EVER do seed germination experiments. They are too unreliable and half of the time don't work (I've had past experiences). What I would have done (it's too late now that you've told your teacher) is fudged the results slightly and find pictures on the internet. This may not be the most IB-friendly thing to do, but it'd save you a lot of marks. However, I have worked with no results before, and I basically had a 3-page evaluation on why the experiment didn't work. I only ended up getting a 16/24 in that IA, but it was much better than I thought it would be, considering there were no quantitative results. What I would do as well is add as many qualitative observations as you can (how the soil looked, if you saw anything strange) and try to form a conclusion from that.

Sorry that your experiment didn't plan out, I'm sure there are thousands of IB students that have suffered the same loss that you have. Also, I've noticed that you are studying the same subjects as me, except for the fact that I take English A1 HL and Mandarin A2 Ab Initio :P I am anticipating Psychology, however. At the end of the day, it's only one section (6 possible marks) that you need by next May, and you can make up for it in other DCPs. Good luck.

• Like 1