English A2 HL: Tips?

I am always struggling to write a good comparative commentary under exam conditions.

Also, I always get nervous and ending up produce a whole list of stream of conciousness.

Any tips for me to produce a good commentary that satisfy the 3 critirea within an hour a

nd a half??

To be more specific, what should I do right at the start, at the half-way and at the end :P ??

Well, if your text tends to be a stream of consciousness, you could try to plan it more carefully before you start writing. I've personally always just started writing the essay and it comes out fine, but I know many people in my class make a mind map about what they'll discuss. You could try making separate "balloons" for each paragraph you write and then add the arguments you might want to use.

A good idea is to first consider the different literary devices in the texts and only then talk about meaning.

Do you usually write one paragraph about text(a), then one about text(B), or write about them in the same paragraph? Since you're doing SL, you should be fine with first discussing text(a) in a separate paragraph and then contrasting text(B) to it. (Or vice versa)

In the end, you should have a conclusion about everything you said - basically you could sum up each paragraph in one sentence. Remember not to do any actual analysis in the conclusion, just state what you have said earlier. You could start it by "To conclude, ..." for example.

Hope some of this helped, whilst writing this I'm procrastinating my A2 HL essay on A Streetcar Named Desire and the destructiveness of love...

First of all I would choose the section that appeals to me the most, and read through it twice. Then I immediately note down the topic that both texts share and start to work on my outline. I look for three or four aspects (themes, use of literary devices, etc.) that I can write about in the given time and make bullet points for each paragraph (since you are SL, you can use the guiding questions, as they will tell you what aspects you could look at). This shouldn't take more than 15-25 minutes. When I'm done with my outline I check how much time there is left and calculate how much time I can spend for each aspect, so I would be done 10 minutes before the end. I usually finish my conclusion 10-15 minutes before the end of my exam, which I then use to read over my essay to eliminate any mistakes and perhaps improve certain things.

Personally, I think that the outline is quite important - it saves me lots of time when actually writing the essay, as I know what my points and examples are; I simply have to link them together and add explanations. This "method" works well for me, as I've been getting quite good grades in HL (6s and 7s).

Hope this helped :P

• 3 years later...

First of all I would choose the section that appeals to me the most, and read through it twice. Then I immediately note down the topic that both texts share and start to work on my outline. I look for three or four aspects (themes, use of literary devices, etc.) that I can write about in the given time and make bullet points for each paragraph (since you are SL, you can use the guiding questions, as they will tell you what aspects you could look at). This shouldn't take more than 15-25 minutes. When I'm done with my outline I check how much time there is left and calculate how much time I can spend for each aspect, so I would be done 10 minutes before the end. I usually finish my conclusion 10-15 minutes before the end of my exam, which I then use to read over my essay to eliminate any mistakes and perhaps improve certain things.

Personally, I think that the outline is quite important - it saves me lots of time when actually writing the essay, as I know what my points and examples are; I simply have to link them together and add explanations. This "method" works well for me, as I've been getting quite good grades in HL (6s and 7s).

Hope this helped :P

Heißt du Max Adolph und warst auf der BBIS ?