do i need HL maths for doing biochemical engineering with bio fuels at university if ii'm doing HL chem and bio ?

Kudzai Mukaratirwa

Guest Soiboist

I would say no. As far as I know biochemical engineering does not require that in-depth mathematical knowledge that might be needed for engineering with a more physical approach. However it would certainly be impressive to see that you have taken such a rigorous course as Maths HL for the university that you're applying to. I don't know much about universities in the US unfortunately, but I have heard that they put a lot of emphasis on that the students have been taking difficult courses, rather than to be concerned whether the courses actually are related to the degree or not. Hence it could be useful for you to take it if you want to get into the most competitive universities, but only if you're very strong in Mathematics, because otherwise it would be worth the huge effort that HL frankly is. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other things that the university cares about, such as extracurriculars showing possibilities of leaderships (at least British universities understand that everyone can't be leaders). Overall I'd say that universities in the US is a bit of a lottery, so I wouldn't honestly focus too hard on only two of the most competitive universities that there are.

If there is a subject you'd rather take as third HL than Maths, do so. Otherwise, or if you think you can handle it and want to try, choose Maths. You can also always start out with 4 HLs and see if you can cope, and that you'll realise rather quickly.

• Like 1

I would say no. As far as I know biochemical engineering does not require that in-depth mathematical knowledge that might be needed for engineering with a more physical approach. However it would certainly be impressive to see that you have taken such a rigorous course as Maths HL for the university that you're applying to. I don't know much about universities in the US unfortunately, but I have heard that they put a lot of emphasis on that the students have been taking difficult courses, rather than to be concerned whether the courses actually are related to the degree or not. Hence it could be useful for you to take it if you want to get into the most competitive universities, but only if you're very strong in Mathematics, because otherwise it would be worth the huge effort that HL frankly is. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other things that the university cares about, such as extracurriculars showing possibilities of leaderships (at least British universities understand that everyone can't be leaders). Overall I'd say that universities in the US is a bit of a lottery, so I wouldn't honestly focus too hard on only two of the most competitive universities that there are.

If there is a subject you'd rather take as third HL than Maths, do so. Otherwise, or if you think you can handle it and want to try, choose Maths. You can also always start out with 4 HLs and see if you can cope, and that you'll realise rather quickly.

thanks well i play squash for the national team and have played for 8 years now i'm currently ranked 25th in africa but will probabaly be 11th by the time i finish the IB guven that i dhould be 15th now and will hopefully go to the world championships next year which will really help because a couple of years ago 3 students from my school went ( A level) and got full scholarships to harvard and yale 1 declined so i'm still undecided i've been doing HL maths for about 3 months now and i'm fairng pretty well but i heard it only gets tougher to i'mjust curious as whether to change to SL and do HL business studies to improve on how many points i get or is that partially irrelavant due to me being also assesed on the difficulty of the courses i choose ??

well how important is higher levevel maths for.....for doing biochemical engineering with bio fuels at university if i'm doing HL chem and bio ? universities i want to apply for Harvard or MIT

While HL math would be highly regarded, I do not think it is necessarily mandatory. Although it would certainly help you "stand out in the crowd" (as long as you get a mark above 5...if not take SL)

• Like 1

I think personally that Maths HL is highly regarded as a respected and important subject for most of the universities.

thanks well i'm very aware of this but i have my squash to fll back on i've been in the national team for 8 years i'm officialyy ranked 25th in africa but will probably be ranked 15th by the end of the year as well as this there is a large possibility that i will paly in the world championchips next year. So what i'd like to ask is it worth it dropping HL matsh to improve the amount of points i get provived i do well in my squash to get into these top universities because several squash players and Alevel and IB students have gone or beeen offered scholarships to Harvard from my school so any advice on that ?

well how important is higher levevel maths for.....for doing biochemical engineering with bio fuels at university if i'm doing HL chem and bio ? universities i want to apply for Harvard or MIT

While HL math would be highly regarded, I do not think it is necessarily mandatory. Although it would certainly help you "stand out in the crowd" (as long as you get a mark above 5...if not take SL)

graciAs man i'll see how i do in my mid terms and see how it goes from there !!! but i could equally get a sports scholarship mostly for finacial aid but would that prevent me from doing the course i want to if i did standard maths ?? because i want to go to MIT or Harvard on academics but sports will do as well.

merci mate i'll see how i do in my midterms and decide then on the way forward !!