Publishing your extended essay

Brittanity

Hello my fellow IB-ers,

So our school has had us started on our extended essay for quite a while now, and as mine is starting to take shape, I realize that the graph I am constructing is genuinely intriguing. Interesting enough perhaps to publish in our city's paper. I have no intention of revealing what I am constructing, nor am I saying that I really will publish it. But as I was wondering...out of pure curiosity...are there any regulations I am not aware of about our extended essays? Am I not allowed to hand-in previously published material for assessment? Therefore I would have to wait for my diploma to be awarded until I can publish it....?

Thoughts anyone?

Just thought that would be interesting, because the '50 excellent EEs' should really be taken into serious contemplation by others just as any other published research by universities. Except by high school IB students. I think the stuff we come up with is fairly decent enough. People should cite those kids more, seriously.

Edited by Brittanity

If you publish it in your city newspaper there's a good chance that the turnitin plagiarism checkers could catch it. Then you would be accused of plagiarising against yourself O.o I think it's only safe to publish your EE or any part of it after it has been graded.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is old, but for future reference:

I just read on the IBO website (after typing: "publishing extended essay" in google for my own curiosity) and it says that you have the copyright to publish your EE (or other things that you have created an hence have copyright)...but they state VERY clearly that that should only be done AFTER it's been submitted and marked. I think they state it's because you may gain extra feedback if you have others scrutinizing it/reading it etc which makes sense...it could make things very unfair. And turnitin wouldn't be happy as someone mentioned :P

• Like 2

Automatically generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Matthew Sinclair 's response is correct and accurate. Please see the following for more information: http://www.ibo.org/copyright/faq/index.cfm

If you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff