What does the Physics HL IA consist of?

DDuino

Your practical work for any group4 subject will consist of 4 components adding up to 48

Group4 Project - 6 points

Manipulation Skills (your ethics in the lab) - 6 points

IA #1 - 18 points

IA #2 - 18 points

This will be roughly 25% of your overall IB score

The rest comes from paper1, 2, and 3. Paper1 is around 20%, paper 3 around 15% and paper2 around 35%

Yea, that's not 100% but the percentages are exact either. They change slightly for every year but those a good estimations that seem to remain constant.

Edited by Drake Glau

IA is the internal assessment. It's a lab report that you do completely on your own. Your teacher should give you a topic to do the lab over (say...electric currents and ohm's law) and it is then your job to create the entire lab. Design it, hypothesis, the procedure, carry out the lab, interpret results, all that good stuff.

IA = lab reports that you should be doing (take a look at the physics syllabus posted on IB survival for the complete information). If you are taking another IB science, it is essentially the same kind of IA.

Only lab reports assessing 'design' need to be created by the student. To assess the other criteria, the teacher can outline the procedure. Also, as far as I know, the group 4 project does not count for IA marks (just needs to be completed - but can count if the teacher decides to use it).

Edited by master135

IA = lab reports that you should be doing (take a look at the physics syllabus posted on IB survival for the complete information). If you are taking another IB science, it is essentially the same kind of IA.

Only lab reports assessing 'design' need to be created by the student. To assess the other criteria, the teacher can outline the procedure. Also, as far as I know, the group 4 project does not count for IA marks (just needs to be completed - but can count if the teacher decides to use it).

The group4 project has it's own section and is only worth 6 marks of the 48 for practical work. It can't be used for an IA because it isn't one, there's no design really, and not much of an evaluation.

Just look at the IA as a lab that's more important >.< That's what they were for us anyway, just another lab that actually mattered.

• 2 weeks later...

Also - try and do great IA's at the beginning of the course. I haven't needed to do a physics IA for over a year because after I completed 3, I already had 2 full mark IA's. Very handy when it comes to time management in your final year.

Also - try and do great IA's at the beginning of the course. I haven't needed to do a physics IA for over a year because after I completed 3, I already had 2 full mark IA's. Very handy when it comes to time management in your final year.

That isn't always the case, in my school, sometimes the IB requires you to send all the IA's that account for the 40 hours.. That was an anti-cheating measure.

That isn't always the case, in my school, sometimes the IB requires you to send all the IA's that account for the 40 hours.. That was an anti-cheating measure.

There's a rule that you have to do IA's for 40 hours? First i've heard of it :P

There's a rule that you have to do IA's for 40 hours? First i've heard of it :P

All lab hours for SL need to add up to 30 hours and HL is 40.

That's ALL labs, not just IAs