A language as Creativity

Guest Soiboist

Guest Soiboist

Due to that I'm not continuing my foreign language from earlier school years as an IB subject, I thought about taking it through Creativity instead. However I'm not sure about the practical matters when it comes to taking a language as CAS. For instance, as you need someone to sign what you have done, I guess you couldn't learn it just by yourself through reading and writing and so on. Does anyone have any experience on this? Obviously I want to learn the language as efficient as possible, but it still needs to be counted as CAS (most of it, anyway). Thank you for your help. :)

Can you find a teacher to supervise you? Even if you just had a conversation session/small exam X times a month to show them how much you'd learned. Or perhaps a classmate who speaks the language who can sign it off for you? Or some sort of online way of doing it where you could prove that modules/sections had been ticked off?

I suggest you go and speak to your CAS coordinator about it and ask them what they would consider acceptable proof that you're undertaking it. You should really tick it off with them anyway - the worst thing ever is spending a year doing an activity, only to be told that for whatever reason they don't consider it acceptable! Thankfully I checked mine out with the Coordinator but it happened to some friends who were left having to get CAS hours during the toughest parts of the year (stupid, really). So yes, go and see them and ask them what they would consider acceptable, I'm sure they can think of some sort of compromise - and if they have helped you think of it, you'll know for sure that it's going to be a valid way of getting your CAS completed :) For instance our school advertises that you can't have your parents sign stuff off for you, but as I persuaded my Coordinator that there was no other way for me to get my running signed off and they thought it was 50% their idea, they ran with it and saved me loads of trouble having to sign up for a gym and persuade one of the staff to watch me/something equally bizarre.

Guest Soiboist

Can you find a teacher to supervise you? Even if you just had a conversation session/small exam X times a month to show them how much you'd learned.

I thought about this and it seems to me as a very good option. My school has French B SL, which would be an adequate level for me, so I could basically be doing what they are doing, but with a bit less assignments and so on. I could perhaps attend lessons a few times each months to show the results of my work and to actually speak French with others as well. Yeah, I'll definitely ask my CAS coordinator about this, because it seems as the best way to do it as I'd still be learning the language in a proper way as before. Thank you for your idea! :)

• 3 weeks later...

My coordinator isn't letting us do a language as Creativity because it's not 'artistic'. I've got some friends in another school doing IB who are taking up languages like Russian, Latin etc and their coordinator's fine with it. I guess if you can persaude your CAS coordinator that it is creative to learn another language, then there isn't any reason why you can't.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you can do language as CAS, I'm doing french ab initio(steg 3) with my current french teacher as my supervisor. Learning a language is very creative and being creative does not always mean you need to be artistic- creativity can be anything! (tell that to your cas coordinator!)Another thing that you can do for CAS is actually driving lessons! If you are currently getting your drivers licence you can take the lessons etc as cas (although we are just allowed 15 hrs, but its still something!) good luck :)

Guest Soiboist

Yeah you can do language as CAS, I'm doing french ab initio(steg 3) with my current french teacher as my supervisor. Learning a language is very creative and being creative does not always mean you need to be artistic- creativity can be anything! (tell that to your cas coordinator!)Another thing that you can do for CAS is actually driving lessons! If you are currently getting your drivers licence you can take the lessons etc as cas (although we are just allowed 15 hrs, but its still something!) good luck :)

That's pretty nice. I would probably follow the French B SL course or Steg 4 though as I have already done Steg 3. :) But do you actually get CAS hours for spending time at home studying French, or is it solely the time spent with your supervisor that counts?

If you're really learning a language (it could also be a completely new one, probably works best actually) outside of school, it should be countable for creativity. I got my 50 hours purely from some Arabic courses I took outside of school. Can't say I really mastered the language, but it surely got me through CAS.

That's pretty nice. I would probably follow the French B SL course or Steg 4 though as I have already done Steg 3. :) But do you actually get CAS hours for spending time at home studying French, or is it solely the time spent with your supervisor that counts?

Yeah we have this cas diary in which we reflect the time spent on studying at home, and then we later on reflect the diary to our supervisor :)