Average IB score for St. Andrews?

Manstein

Guest Soiboist

Theoretically there is no "secure" slot no matter how high your score is due to that several other factors are taken into consideration. This is the text beside the entry requirements for any undergraduate course on their website: "The likely asking rates published here are based on the LIKELY MINIMUM GRADES which will be required for entry but candidates should remember that many factors are taken into account when making offers, including the Personal Statement and Reference on the UCAS application. No applicant is guaranteed admission on the basis of these grades alone. Actual offers may be higher or lower than the grades stated here." But as it is the approximate minimum grades for admission it still gives you a rather good overview of how your chances are. If you are a few points above the entrance requirements but feel that your personal statement and reference aren't very strong, you may still have a chance for instance. In the same way, if your grades are the same as the minimum requirements but you have a very strong PS and reference, you probably still have a good chance of getting in.

Unfortunately they don't have any average scores of students that gained admission in previous years on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in St Andrews and from what I've heard from friends looking to apply 38 is the minimum but competition is intense at St Andrews, Soiboist is right, if you have a strong PS and reference then you're chances are better, especially if you get above the minimum points required.

Hope it helps :)

P.S I'm not sure if I'm in the minority group here but I think that Universities still aren't too clear on the difficulties of the IB and ask for alot from the students.

• 10 months later...

I live in St Andrews and from what I've heard from friends looking to apply 38 is the minimum but competition is intense at St Andrews, Soiboist is right, if you have a strong PS and reference then you're chances are better, especially if you get above the minimum points required.

Hope it helps smile.gif

P.S I'm not sure if I'm in the minority group here but I think that Universities still aren't too clear on the difficulties of the IB and ask for alot from the students.

Hi this is quire irrelevant but this is the only forum i can find of st.andrews!!

I'm an applicant for the University of St.Andrews to study Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry.

I'n an international student and I hold a scholarship for the four years that I study there BUT big big big problem... I don't think I'll meet my offers. I have a feeling that I'll be two points off, max 3 points below.

I've checked their UCAS requirements and on their official website and both say 35/37 points and their offer for me is 38, and I take 4 HL's..

Any advice?? I don't want to ask them now in case they take the scholarship away and I dont want to wait until I realise I don't have the points and have nowhere to go.

Help please! I would very much appreciate it!!

Hope it helps smile.gif

Hi this is quire irrelevant but this is the only forum i can find of st.andrews!!

I'm an applicant for the University of St.Andrews to study Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry.

I'n an international student and I hold a scholarship for the four years that I study there BUT big big big problem... I don't think I'll meet my offers. I have a feeling that I'll be two points off, max 3 points below.

I've checked their UCAS requirements and on their official website and both say 35/37 points and their offer for me is 38, and I take 4 HL's..

Any advice?? I don't want to ask them now in case they take the scholarship away and I dont want to wait until I realise I don't have the points and have nowhere to go.

Help please! I would very much appreciate it!!

If you fail to meet the offer you've been given, they basically get to decide whether to accept or reject you, usually based on the number of people who did meet their offers. If they have spare space they often take some people who didn't make the grade, but if enough other applicants did get their grades, then you'll be rejected. Offers are pretty final, they don't put them up or down depending on what you think you're going to get. If you don't get the grades, I'm afraid the system is pretty much that you don't get in; that's what offers are there for, to make sure people are of sufficient academic calibre, supposedly. Requirements advertised on websites are a minimum set of grades to be considered, and depending on how they feel about your personal statement and other things then they may offer you that or they're within their rights to give a higher offer (especially if there's a lot of competition for places).

Some Universities have a clearing process through UCAS where you can try to apply for any spaces which are left, but it's pretty first-come-first-served and obviously the best courses at the best Unis will have been filled at this point. Many people take a year out to do re-takes/have a gap year if they don't get in. About 5/25 of my IB cohort had to take a year out for not meeting the offers they were given, so it's not that unusual.

I guess it's too late for you to switch to 3 HLs at this point, which would have made a lot more sense as you're not rewarded for doing 4, merely penalised by having to put extra effort in. However you'll just have to try your best in the exams and see if you can make the grades! Being a few points off doesn't make getting in totally unrealistic, however obviously anything other than equal to or greater than your offer is by definition not secure.

What would score would you need to attain to secure a slot at University of St. Andrews? I know the requirement is at 38, but it must rise due to competition, right?

I heard that St Andrews has been receiving many more applications since Kate Middleton met Prince William there! Didn't the Royal couple establish a very generous scholarship at the university to mark their wedding?

yeah I take History, Economics,... as a reason on UCAS they stated that the personal statement wasn't strong enough in light of personal statements by other candidates ... but then again I am part of the minute quota of non-uk european students (germany) which they can take, its usually about 10%. so that is also a reason for explaining the unsuccessful application.

A pity to be declined on the basis of 47 lines of text! As consolation, I can only say that although St Andrews University is frequently ranked in the UK top ten, the little town lacks many of the activities to be found in larger cities. And although it is drier than the West Coast of Scotland, it does experience frequent very cold winds, even in summer!

I hope that you get a place in another good university of your choice.