How many members per group?

it mainly depends on your school. if your school also offers ESS, the group 4 project needs to cover it too. it also depends on the number of students in your school.

generally, yes it does combine physics, chemistry and biology. and by right you are supposed to have 4 people in a group.

to make it simple, it combines all the group 4 subjects in your school, and your school will divide the group depending on the number of students.

for example, there are only 14 students taking science in my grade at my school, but we don't have many biologists (only 3) nor chemists (only 5) so we only had 2 groups with 7 people each.

The size of the groups really depends on how your school wants to organise the students.

In previous years at our school, students got into groups of 6-7. However, this year, they cut down the group size to 4-5 per group. I think it's best to work in smaller groups because each member can take a more active role in the project/experiment. Thanks to this all the members in our group got either 5/6 or 6/6 for 'Personal Skills' (which counts for one aspect of your overall IA mark, along with 'Design', 'Data Collection and Processing', 'Conclusion and Evaluation' and 'Manipulative Skills'). I got a 6 by the way.

Also, the Group IV project doesn't ONLY involve science. You could do a technology project, like building a chair or making clothing. Students decide in their groups what project or experiment to do, so it's very common to have groups doing science investigations because most IB students tend to do a science subject and not a technology subject.

HOWEVER, if there are students doing a technology subject in a group (e.g. Design & Technology, Textiles, etc.), it's possible for the group to do a technology project. For example, I know someone who does Food Technology. For her Group IV project, she made cookies (yes, really!!) I think the purpose of her project was to see which type of cookie (shape, colour, size) was the most visually appealing to a certain target range. Not sure what she got for 'Personal Skills' but I'd expect her to have gotten a pretty good mark.

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak