What is the hardest IB Standard Level Subject in Your Opinion?

khalid

Guest Soiboist

History SL has a fairly big workload for being a SL subject, but for Swedish students Maths SL is probably the toughest since our previous Math education is so horrible. :P Though Chemistry SL had the lowest percentage of students getting a 7 for the last examinations if I remember correctly.

Anyway it is a subjective question and any subject could be mentioned really, it all depends on the student's strengths and weaknesses.

I think that if you're not good at Maths, Maths SL has got the highest expectations ability-wise of any of the SL subjects, so I would say it's the most challenging. I feel like it has similar expectations to a lot of HL subjects! It's certainly harder than all the HLs I took except for perhaps Chemistry.

And HL Maths is correspondingly out of this world XD

obviously the hardest is Further Mathematics SL, but I'm actually interested to take it hehe

from the subjects I'm taking, my hardest SL is chemistry, but actually Language A1 is quite challenging too.

in the whole IB course, I think History would be the hardest (and most boring) subject.

obviously the hardest is Further Mathematics SL, but I'm actually interested to take it hehe

That didn't even pop in my mind, but I would assume that's the hardest seeing as you can only take it as a student taking Math HL.

Otherwise, I would assume Physics SL. My school, although my peers may be the outlier, didn't produce a 7 through the mock exams.

My school in 8 years (we're number 9) has never produced a single SL physics 7 or HL math 7 or HL chem 7 :(

Hardest SL besides further maths would probably be history in my opinion. There's soooo much stuff to remember for being only a SL class. I hate history though so take this how you will XD

Guest Soiboist

That didn't even pop in my mind, but I would assume that's the hardest seeing as you can only take it as a student taking Math HL.

Technically you don't need Maths HL to take Further Maths, right? I can't see why the IBO would put such a regulation on the course. But obviously any sane person taking Further Maths will have taken Maths HL as well as Further Maths includes all its options.

Guest Soiboist

That's exactly what I said in my latest post! However, my intention was to say that I don't think that the IBO would not approve of taking for instance Maths SL along with Further Maths. I still understand why no one would do it though. ;)

That's exactly what I said in my latest post! However, my intention was to say that I don't think that the IBO would not approve of taking for instance Maths SL along with Further Maths. I still understand why no one would do it though. ;)

No, I'm pretty sure the IBO enforces it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be such a common rule amongst IB. Additionally, why would IBO be willing to set up a student to fail? If Further Maths requires any of Math HL, then that would be further work for the candidate.

I'm deviating from the topic, but also after thinking a bit, I believe Chemistry SL could be tricky. Physics is taken by students who like physics - obviously - and the mark scheme is lower for Physics. However, Chem SL, although said to be "equal" to an introductory Chemistry class, is not that easy for a beginner. My school hasn't seen a 7 in Chem SL either.

• 2 weeks later...

French SL. This year we only had one graduate take the exam and the course. They were put in my french class, the class was classified as French 4/5 but I don't feel we were really up to par with the level we were suppose to be. Even though most of the students had A's the whole year, we didn't really learn much. Or well I guess you could say we didn't really retain much at all. After the exams we kinda just lost all the material we learned.

I'm not looking forward to taking that exam next year, especially the writing portions. I think I can read french well enough, can speak it if I know what to say, its just writing that worries me. That and the improv. speaking portions we will have to do. There just seems to be SO many verbs and tenses and they all seem to sound exactly alike even though they are spelled differently. It gets confusing after a while.