IB Class of 2013: advice, expectations?

I actually discovered that TOK is bearable if it's more psychological than philosophical. Really, as I love Psych (my favourite subject ever), when my TOK teacher (who is a Psychologist herslef) wanders into Psychology, it's great, really, though my TOK class is dreadful, really...

Procrastination, how can you hate CAS reflections? It's totally my very favourite part of IB, to be honest, I write them every Friday so that they don't pile up, and have a lot of fun doing it. Much more than writing an essay in Polish, which I'm supposed to be doing right now. :P

Are you also thinking about your EE already? I can't decide which subject to do it in. I know I'll do it in either History or English B but I'm not sure just yet. In history it would probably be something about the Tudors or maybe early 20th century Russia and in English it might be Puzo, but still, I'm not sure. How about you guys?

I know Im doing my EE either on History or philosophy. CAS reflections are horrible, I also do them everyweek but god, I dont know what to write, its a tedious work, personally I think you basically say everything you said in your past reflection but with different words and objectives, plus I feel I could be doing a Lab Report for Physics instead OF a reflection of what I felt.

Edited by Procrastination

Hey! I'm class of 2012 and have exactly 94 school days left (finally). My experience in IB has been quite peculiar... In school I've always been pretty lazy and my friends tend to highlight how irresponsable I am when it comes to school work :rolleyes: And 10th grade was no difference even though I had IB...

Now that I'm in my final year I have finally begun to feel the work burden and the need to seek advice with my assignments (I joined this forum place). Due tomorrow I have the correction of two economics commentaries, a physics lab, a CAS diary from a week I spent in the Amazon and an english analysis comparing Hamlet to Machiavelli's "The Prince". The thing is all of these assignments are already late (Y)

I've been skipping classes to do homework but I still can't catch up... But thats just me. If you have a good like "working rhythm" and are good handeling distractions you'll survive with no problem at all.

I hope youre sure about your subjects (if not change them now if you still have time) because hating them will only mean torture everytime you go to class.

I have economics and love it.

History andlike it.

English A1 and can bearly endure it.

Physics which is cool but I have too much trouble with.

Math which I like and Spanish which has never been my thing...

Anyways, good luck :)

There are three great moments of IB.

The First is finishing your last final exam (that's in 10 days!!!!!)

The Second is submitting your final Extended Essay draft. You'll be so happy that you'll just can't stop smiling.

The Third is, unless you are doing a related University course, never ever having to do anything more complicated than long division for Math ever again.

The three worst moments of IB are:

That one month before the Extended Essay is due.

Preparing for your first Theory of Knowledge Presentation.

That moment you walk out of a Math HL/SL exam.

This is my advice to the next batch. Look forward and scorn to it!

Edited by aronnax
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm doing my exams in May 2013! It seems like a long time away however it is so close, and I am extremely surprised on how broad the IB is from person to person and I am meeting people all over the world! My highers are Film, English and Psychology and Standards are Biology, Spanish and maths studies - add me if you have anything similar just to pass on advice to one another!