IB Class of 2013: advice, expectations?

Well, hi. So I'm also this '13 class. Now I'm of course overexited, as always. But I'm soo afraid of this October/November time. You start to loose all this 'yupi!'-exitment-motivation thing, the weather sucks and you don't wanna even move your finger. I'm quite ambitious but reaaaly lazy. I mean, for 9 years I didn't have to dedicate almost any time for school. Results were, well, maybe not genius-like but much over the average. I kinda just got used to doing nothing. However, at least I cared a bit and did something. But then high school started. I was in this clas so called '0' where you learn a language (French ;)) 18 hours/week and have some 2 hours of Polish, Maths, History. As languages are pretty easy for me I actually didn't have to do much. Then the first year, 13 subjects, some in French, but still...or even I got more lazy. My results in high school were obviously much worse than earlier, but it's quite a common thing, there were lots of kids that were eager to work at classes, at home, learn, learn, learn and got same or worse results than me. Now I've got to the IB diploma and I have this feeling I can't count on my luck. I have those plans to start to learn, but it's easy to say when you have holidays, sleep 10 hours a day and just f.ck around ;).

I have Polish a1, Bio and Maths SL and English B, Psychology and French HL. However, this might change as we lack people for French. If so I would have to take Spanish (which i hate) ab initio and I guess change Bio to HL.

18 hours of French? Wow, that's pretty intense... I see we're taking pretty similar subjects, except for Bio and French. Are you taking Polish Lit or Lang&LIt?

I guess we'll get motivated when we have to. Let's just enjoy the time we have left, it's not gonna last forever, unfortunately... :)

Errrr...actually I had to choose only SL or HL. There was nothing about Lang&Lit :P. Well, maybe in September? I know we have time 'til 16th to change subjects or levels.

Those 18 hours...it wasn't bad. As I said I didn't have much to do. And this year (though I didn't want to participate) I got to the 2nd round of the French Olympiad.

Edited by lilianna009

I think it might be school's decision, this A lang thing, it was with my school, they just chose Lang&Lit, nobody asked our opinion on this one.

And I got to the 2nd round of English Olympiad. :D It was the most horrid thing I've ever had to take in English. But maybe I'll get to the finale next year, I have 2 teachers preparing me. I'm not sure if I really want to, but wouldn't hurt me if I had a place secured at any uni I want. Even if it was only to study English, it's a good back up plan. Though, considering how much time an Olympiad takes to prepare, it might be not really worth since I don't want to study English at uni. :D

I didn't prepare much for the last year's either. I read some stuff about the Tudors and something like that, but I have no idea how you can actually prepare for this cultural part...

And I'm much too lazy, too. But I figured out that it's the best time to be lazy, I mean, right now. So I just watch "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and enjoy going to sleep at 3 without having to wake up at 7. :P

I also enjoy my watching L word, stayin up til 4 or 5, getting up in the afternoon. Personally I hate sun, heat. Night is much better. But I guess it isn't the topic to talk about it.

I think I should find some job. My own netbook would be useful in IB. I bought one for my 18th birthday but it was stolen after 3 weeks :/.

I'm sorry about your netbook being stolen. I think I'm not going to be working any time soon, maybe the summer after IB, before going to university. Fortunately, I already have my own laptop, I guess it will be useful when I have some free time between lessons. :) Hope I'll have enough motivation to actually USE this free time for school work and not just surfing the net or reading or chatting with friends or some other time-wasting activity. :P

Hmmm...There's a lot more 2013 students than I thought there'd be. :blum:

I'm really excited for September, even though I've seen a lot of posts on how hard it's going to be.

My one hope is that my motivation will stick throughout the two years.

Ahh...I'm also taking Physics11 summer school. Also trying to fix my lax nature.>_> [Don't procrastinate !!

That's the one thing I'm seriously worried about.

Phy, Chem, Math, and Jap are my favs, think I'll enjoy those a lot.

I'll see about Geography and English. Won't be sure until the actual courses start :blush:

Hey!

I'm also part of the 2013 May Class.

However, I'm in a dilemma right now ): I completed my Pre-IB this year, and it wasn't that bad. I struggled in Chemistry HL though.

I'm contemplating whether I should drop History HL (I figure its too much work, and I'm most likely not gonna need it in the future) and Chemistry HL. Under All circumstances, I would keep Maths SL, French Ab initio SL, Biology SL, and English A1 HL. So, is it really worth it to complete 4 IB Certificates, or should I keep Chemistry and History, and shoot for the Diploma?

Keep in mind, I am an active athlete and staying in the Diploma would strongly limit my chances of continuing play. Also, I strongly fell like I can attain a higher GPA in Partial then Full IB Diploma, by doing less work.

All opinions are welcomed, thank you!

At my school we can't take certificates, but I've been on this forum for a few months now and I've seen a lot of people say that one should either do a full diploma or nothing. If you don't like Chem so much, maybe you should switch it to SL and take Bio HL instead? Or Maths HL, if you really like it? I think you should try with the full diploma and then, if you struggle, just switch to certificates. :) Then, if you can't cope, you can always say that you've tried and you'll never have to regret that you gave up before even starting.

I heard we are only going to have to write one world lit essay from a friend, but I have no idea if he's right, but I hope he is :P

last time, SL students only need to do one WL, HL students need to do two WL. not sure if this has changed in the 2013 syllabus though!

I think HL students still have to do 2WLs. Oh god (Pray for me)

joy -.- I was so happy for a while ! :(

Hey!

I'm also part of the 2013 May Class.

However, I'm in a dilemma right now ): I completed my Pre-IB this year, and it wasn't that bad. I struggled in Chemistry HL though.

I'm contemplating whether I should drop History HL (I figure its too much work, and I'm most likely not gonna need it in the future) and Chemistry HL. Under All circumstances, I would keep Maths SL, French Ab initio SL, Biology SL, and English A1 HL. So, is it really worth it to complete 4 IB Certificates, or should I keep Chemistry and History, and shoot for the Diploma?

Keep in mind, I am an active athlete and staying in the Diploma would strongly limit my chances of continuing play. Also, I strongly fell like I can attain a higher GPA in Partial then Full IB Diploma, by doing less work.

All opinions are welcomed, thank you!

Where do you want to go for university?

You know maybe if anything has changed concerning calculators? Is TI-84 plus still ok? My IBC told to wait till September and the teacher will tell us which one we should buy as the list, she claims, changes every year. But I found this offer and I can buy one almost new for like...36$.

Edited by lilianna009

You know maybe if anything has changed concerning calculators? Is TI-84 plus still ok? My IBC told to wait till September and the teacher will tell us which one we should buy as the list, she claims, changes every year. But I found this offer and I can buy one almost new for like...36$.

I have a TI-84+ and my teacher not only said they were ok, but also suggested them to us. And then spent a whole lesson playing with mine, so I couldn't really work myself. :P