IB Class of 2013: advice, expectations?

@Gaby, I consider studying Law and I chose Geography as a backup in case I don't get to any good uni in UK.

BTW, you're attending with a friend of mine next year, Dżargiś. :)

I don't know any Dżargiś, is he going to be new? And I'm not saying Geo is bad for Law or something. I just hate it, so I'm biased. :D

EDIT

There is absolutely huge amount of people considering studying Law. That's kinda weird, I know like 3 or 4 people in total who might consider going to Law School...

Edited by Gaby

Sooo who are the 2013ers (um) out there? This is our last summer of freedom, apparently. :sadnod: (naww cheer up! :console: )

I joined this forum today and have been lurking around a bit! It seems like there's some pretty helpful info, but I can't say for sure until I'm actually enrolled in the classes because hardly any of it pertains to me at the moment. Any advice from IB alumni or current students as far as what to expect, aspects of the program you hadn't considered, tips for success kinda thing? Any warnings? Any positives? Are you actually satisfied with your IB journey?...what would you have done differently?

My upperclassmen friends tell me it's social suicide...but then again, those are the ones who aren't in IB. The fact that they're the ones talking kinda proves their point though haha. I'm not entirely prepared to sacrifice my social life. Is it possible to juggle both?

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, pointers, sarcastic remarks... :blush: and feel free to post if you're part of the IB class of 2013!

Nice to meet you! I'm class of 2013 too..and I have to admit i'm quite nervous!!

Hi! I'm in the class of 2013 as well and despite the scary stuff about IB that I've read on this site, I can't wait to start! I want to study Biology in University and maybe go to Med School so these are the subjects I chose:

HL

Biology

Chemistry

Modern Greek A2

SL

English A1

Psychology

Mathematics

I think it's a pretty wise choice, right? However, I am terrified of Maths SL ( especially the portfolio ) and and a little bit about Chemistry HL but I guess I could make it through with that one. Yesterday I took a look inside the books on Amazon and I couldn't understand a thing :( .

Oooh your subjects sound cool! Especially modern greek OMG I would LOVE to take that. I'm too absolutely terrified of math SL and might drop down to math studies if it gets to be too much for me. Lets stick together, eh :)

I loved the IB, but the TOK is hell. The oral A1/A2 presentations are hell. I have no sympathy for you, I survived.

The exams are fine though. Just spend more than 3 hours preparing for your History Exam.

Woowww your grades are to die for! I want your grades!! Where did you hang your diploma? What are your plans now that you have finished?

Hi! I'm in the class of 2013 as well and despite the scary stuff about IB that I've read on this site, I can't wait to start! I want to study Biology in University and maybe go to Med School so these are the subjects I chose:

HL

Biology

Chemistry

Modern Greek A2

SL

English A1

Psychology

Mathematics

I think it's a pretty wise choice, right? However, I am terrified of Maths SL ( especially the portfolio ) and and a little bit about Chemistry HL but I guess I could make it through with that one. Yesterday I took a look inside the books on Amazon and I couldn't understand a thing :( .

Oooh your subjects sound cool! Especially modern greek OMG I would LOVE to take that. I'm too absolutely terrified of math SL and might drop down to math studies if it gets to be too much for me. Lets stick together, eh :)

Well Greek is a piece of cake since I'm a native :P And yes, I am terrified of Maths SL as well but I need them to study Biology -_- Ughhhhh

Probably because you need to like it to take it. Personally, it bores me to death. I took one year of Philosophy, I wish to have no more of it, honestly... :)

I can understand that! What I'm most interested in Philosophy is the political side, so you do need to like it.

I wish my school offered Philosophy! We only have it in AP (I believe) but not IB. :( It sounds really interesting.

Less than a month till IB starts for me! Our summer reading book is The Great Gatsby and I like it so far. :) What are y'all reading?

Philosophy is one of the reasons I chose to do the IB; it's also available as an A Level but it focuses on religious philosophy, which is something I am not interested in (having studied it for two years!)

I'm reading The Kite Runner and The Tempest. I'm not too sure on The Kite Runner, but it may grow on me. The Tempest I'm enjoying so far.

You have already any work to do?!

I have still almost a month of holidays.

I should start buying some books though.

We've been given 'Pre-IB' tasks to do over the summer for each of our subjects. For example in English, we have to read two books and answer a few questions on it/keep a reading journal and so on.

I'm wondering...Maybe I'll change French HL to SL and Bio SL to HL?

I've been studying French since September 2009. I had 18 hours (school hours, 45 minutes) a week the first year and 6 hours a week the second year.

2 years ago it was my first contact with the language.

And my first contact with English was many many years ago. And I'm also taking it as B HL.

Edited by lilianna009

Guest Humaira

im part of the ib class of 2013 as well. this summer really does seem like our last summer of fun.oh well might as well make the most of it. although i feel like i should be preparing for my grade 11 ib courses...

Oh, c'mon. I plan to have normal life as well :P. Watch all my tv-shows, go to parties ('till January my peers have their 18th birthdays, then form January ppl from my class 'cause they're a year younger :)), attend gigs (omg, omg, 30stm in November :)!) etc.

I'm planning on doing the same, it should be relatively easy to do if I'm organised. (Easier said than done.. :P)