Question about G4 Project.

sarahlouise

Hi guys,

My question is - say there are some people in IB at your school who do absolutely no work, aren't motivated at all, and all that. If you get put in a group with people like that, would their inability and the fact that they do nothing have an impact on your mark?

So would my mark get dragged down if I get stuck in a group with people who do nothing? is essentially my question.

Also, if that were to happen and it forced me to do all the work, would the fact that I did heaps of work to not compromise my grade give them a good mark as well?

Thanks.

Edited by sarahlouise

Great question! My group consisted of people just like that. Well, we had two lazy students, a student who works, and me.

So, I had two people who couldn't work unless someone forced them and constantly motivated them to work. So I did just that. I did work hands-on and motivated them when they needed an external force to make them focus. I mean, come on - a digital light sensor connected to laptop = laptop used for anything BUT work (i.e. Facebook).

Fortunately your Personal Skills mark will NOT get dragged down. I was in a group like that and got 6/6 for Personal Skills. The other two who didn't work got 5/6.

If you do get put in such a group, work just like normal. No, actually, work harder than you usually do (after all, the Group IV project only lasts for a short period of time! One day and a half in my case). Who cares if the other members are leeching off your hard work? If you don't put an effort your mark will be compromised, too. In my group, I was actually the one who did the research, wrote the method, designed the apparatus set-up and wrote the conclusion and evaluation.

Because the aspect you're graded on is PERSONAL SKILLS, try your best to get along with the other group members. Stay positive and motivate them. It shows that you have LEADERSHIP skills, and that's important! Your teacher will see that you've been working hard and taking the initiative. The last thing you want to do is appear like you're not really working.

I don't know how your school does the grading, but at our school, towards the end of the project the teacher interviewed us one-on-one. She asked questions like 'Have you worked with these people before?', 'Who do you think worked the hardest?', 'If you had to remove one member from the group, who would it be?'. If you do get interviewed, just answer honestly and modestly. Your teacher will know that you're the backbone of the group.

You also get 6 points for the actual project and that's out of 48 for your practical work in group4. I would let someone knows if they really did nothing because that effects their grade and they don't deserve full points if they don't do anything. My opinion...

And there's also the manipulation skills which they don't deserve if they didn't do anything...O.o

no your grades would NOT be affected in any way at all. I know every school does it differently, but if your school is doing it correctly, you should be working individually, but the people in your group are doing the same topic. however, one's work does not depend on another person's work.

at my school, we did individual presentations. in a group with one topic, everybody chose their own investigation based on what subject they are representing. after that, they did their own experiments (if needed) and just created their own powerpoint slides. the next day, they did individual presentations within a group.

I, as a group leader, didn't care much if my group members did not work and did not put in any effort at all. why? because it's their own work! if they didn't work, they wouldn't have anything to present. and anyways, our teachers were there supervising us, so everybody actually worked and my group actually had some discussions to share what one had figured out and how we're gonna do our presentations.

what I'm saying is that, everybody needs to work for their own sake. however, discussions among group members are necessary, and important.

find out how your school is doing this G4 project (even ninety and I are already doing it differently) so you can see what you can do so that your teachers know if your friends are not working.

no your grades would NOT be affected in any way at all. I know every school does it differently, but if your school is doing it correctly, you should be working individually, but the people in your group are doing the same topic. however, one's work does not depend on another person's work.

at my school, we did individual presentations. in a group with one topic, everybody chose their own investigation based on what subject they are representing. after that, they did their own experiments (if needed) and just created their own powerpoint slides. the next day, they did individual presentations within a group.

I, as a group leader, didn't care much if my group members did not work and did not put in any effort at all. why? because it's their own work! if they didn't work, they wouldn't have anything to present. and anyways, our teachers were there supervising us, so everybody actually worked and my group actually had some discussions to share what one had figured out and how we're gonna do our presentations.

Or your school hopefully does it that way. Mine did not =/ We had to pick up the slack to save our grades sadly...

If your school does it this way then disregard my post XD

Edited by Drake Glau