a 4 in one subject.....

selina

I'm currently in grade 11. I have 3 7s for Bio chem HL and math SL, a 6 for Chinese A2 SL.

But my english A1 is a 5 and B&M HL dropped from a 6 last semester to 4 this semester because of format issues....

For english, 5 is the highest in the class. its one of those subjects that no one can get good marks for until the exam semester since the teacher says that our skills are progressive....

For B&M, it was format issues..... he said i needed to have everything under the right headings for this assignment....

so Harvard is my dream. I really really love Harvard because of many reasons >.<

My SAT is 2250 and have a great load of ECs

Do you think that 4 in B&M this semester is going to kill my chances for all top US unis?

(my counsellor said that hes going to use this semester's report as the most recent transcript for unis, although he may be able to get the teachers to give me some predicted grades ahead of time)

THIS IS REALLY BOTHERING ME so please please reply~~~~...

I honestly don't think harvard will even look at your IB scores when considering you. Usually US colleges give credit for certain scores in whatever subject. I could be wrong with it being one of the top Ivy Leagues but I doubt it. You have a nice SAT score though which will certainly help you. Keep a gpa up and you'll still have a chance.

Check their website. There is always information on how they treat IB :)

I honestly don't think harvard will even look at your IB scores when considering you. Usually US colleges give credit for certain scores in whatever subject. I could be wrong with it being one of the top Ivy Leagues but I doubt it. You have a nice SAT score though which will certainly help you. Keep a gpa up and you'll still have a chance.

Check their website. There is always information on how they treat IB :)

thanks for the encouragement but our school only gives ib grades on transcripts... cause we dont do GPAs

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

Hey man I'm in grade 11 also and my brother went to Harvard last year from my IB school. I do think your 4 may hinder your chances as I believe Harvard converts it into a 79/82% ranking. Also you may want to think about getting higher in SATs because I took sats in gr 10 and got 2320 and when I went to talk with my brother's dorm advisor he said that for people coming from China and other Asian countries the sat requirement is about 2300 min to 2350 is pretty good chance.

Hope we both make it in! Here are some of my scores for comparison:

English A1 HL 7 (my native tongue is english)

Math HL 6

Physics HL 7

Chem HL 7

Business/Management SL 7

French A2 SL 6

Good Luck!!!

Hey man I'm in grade 11 also and my brother went to Harvard last year from my IB school. I do think your 4 may hinder your chances as I believe Harvard converts it into a 79/82% ranking. Also you may want to think about getting higher in SATs because I took sats in gr 10 and got 2320 and when I went to talk with my brother's dorm advisor he said that for people coming from China and other Asian countries the sat requirement is about 2300 min to 2350 is pretty good chance.

Math HL 6

Physics HL 7

Chem HL 7

Business/Management SL 7

French A2 SL 6

Good Luck!!!

Thanks good luck to you, too!

what's the 79/82% ranking thing?

Well I don't know if I should retake the SAT I cuz I would have gotten 2330 if I had gotten a 800 like any normal Asian...... I get the sense that the Adcoms weight the SAT I math section score the less because its the easiest and that it can be compensated by SAT II math and ib math

what about the minimum ib score cut-off kinda thing for ivy league (and harvard especially)?

did your brother have hardcore extracurriculars n things too?

oh and does the school reputation matter? my school is only in its 5th year and no one's gone to an ivy league school yet

• 2 months later...

Okay one question at a time.

- SAT Math should, as you say, be compensated with SAT II Math and IB Math, so I don't think its worth retaking.

- Ivy leagues don't have ib cutoffs. They look at the overall applications. Your other grades are good so it can balance out. It all depends on just how good your extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, essays (especially) are.

- School reputation is said to matter a little, but you still have a chance.

- At the end of the day, its IVY LEAGUE. A lot depends on luck, who else has applied, etc. Do your best, and then don't be upset if you don't get in. Don't set your heart on any one university, but try as hard as you can whilst applying.

Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...

Math HL 6

Physics HL 7

Chem HL 7

Business/Management SL 7

French A2 SL 6

Good Luck!!!

Thanks good luck to you, too!

what's the 79/82% ranking thing?

Well I don't know if I should retake the SAT I cuz I would have gotten 2330 if I had gotten a 800 like any normal Asian...... I get the sense that the Adcoms weight the SAT I math section score the less because its the easiest and that it can be compensated by SAT II math and ib math

what about the minimum ib score cut-off kinda thing for ivy league (and harvard especially)?

did your brother have hardcore extracurriculars n things too?

oh and does the school reputation matter? my school is only in its 5th year and no one's gone to an ivy league school yet

I'm in year 11 aswell, and I was wondering at what date are you guys going to send in your applications for the Ivy leagues? Because (Selina) if you are still in grade 11, won't you have an opportunity to improve your grades before you send in your application?

Oh and how much did you guys study for your SATs? Did you go to courses/tuitions or just did some study on your own? Because I am considering going for them soon.

Thanks.

um it depends on whether you want to apply in the early action round or the regular round. for early action the deadline is 1st November and regular it's 1st Jan. I believe.

Normally i wouldn't get another chance to improve my grades on my transcript (if i do early action/decision) since the decision is made before our first senior semester report is released. I'm not sure when your school gives out reports but I would guess this also applies. not sure though, you'd have to check with your coordinator or counselor or whoever

But this year, to my relief, my schools gonna do a mid-semester report with grades in them. YAY!! so i have another chance to improve!! ^.^ *sorry i'm pretty happy about this so yeah....*

SAT courses - hmm... it depends on whether you need it. Personally, grammar n all werent my thing and i took a SAT class as well as a few private one-on-one lessons. I think the one-on-one lessons worked pretty well. What I did was just do practice sets and go to the lesson with questions n things I didn't understand. n the teachers just kinda cleared out my confusions in those areas.

but if you are naturally hardcore, like IBMojo there hehe, dont bother with classes i'd say~

• Like 1

I never took those SAT prep courses or classes. I just slept for a good 8 hours the night before the SATs, woke up bright, fresh, and early, and walked into the Cafeteria with a croissant, ready to give it a go. I scored the 2000-something in the first SATs I sat, when I gave it again I brought it up to a 2230. That was really all I did and SATs only matter insofar as meeting the minimum requirements of US Unis.

What matters a lot are your college essays. I applied to a few Ivys and both the Yale and Brown interviewers were interested in me because of my essays to them (they both brought it up). I know my application essays were kick-ass because my Yale essay made my college counsellor cry, so really try to knock that one out of the park and you really have a shot at the Ivys.

Arrowhead.