What is the IOP supposed to be?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could tell me what the IOP is actually supposed to be about? Aka, is it like an essay but spoken (are you supposed to have an underlying point/ argument), are you supposed to talk about a theme throughout a work/author's works or can you just do a commentary to compare 2,3 poems. My idea right now is to do a commentary on 2 poems which are to do with empowerment and to basically explain how they empower. Is it okay to do a commentary? Because I'll only be looking at 2 medium-lengthed poems, it will have to go pretty deep. Or can you only do a commentary for the IOC?

Thanks!

Edited by scarlettjazz

For the IOP you are supposed to talk about a novel or more than one novel. You will have a choice of 3-4 books you've studied in class and you can pick one or more of them. So it's not possible to base your whole IOP on poetry. However I did a comparison of a novel and an actual poem that was included in the novel and talked about similar themes, why it was included in the novel, etc. You can even examine more than one poem if you like but they must have some relation to the novel. The poem doesn't have to be part of the novel, it can be a poem that you think relates to the novel somehow and then in your IOP you explain why through use of themes, etc.

My IOP was very much like a commentary and a lot of other people had commentary-style IOPs but you don't have to.

Well for my IOP - I had two days to write and memorize it. If you write an essay and bring it to class, you will guaranteed lose marks. Your tone, speed and overall appearance of knowledge will be hurt from this. What I did was, I knew the books I was going to use off the top of my head, wrote down some points, practiced until the late hours of the morning and aced it on the IOP date. Remember, this is worth something like 15% of your total IB mark, take it seriously as you want to ace it. Also, I'm definitely not the greatest public speaker, but I was confident and spoke well because I knew what I was talking about. Know what you are talking about, know that you know it and you will do fine. Good Luck

Thanks so much for all of your advice. Mine will be some time later this week. I'm almost finished but I just want to double check that it is okay to write a commentary on 3 poems and be as specific as to talk just about form and sound in the poems (not imagery or anything). Mine is very specific but it definitely will last 10-15 minutes. Is that okay? Also, I think I'm going to play a recording of someone reading one of the poems and then afterwards I'll comment on the poem. Is that okay as well?

Thanks all!