Worried about time management?

Here are the subjects I've signed up for...

English HL

History HL

Biology HL

Film HL

Math SL

German ab inito

I'm starting IB next fall, and I'm wondering if I will be able to manage my time well during the next two years. I currently have a part time job, and while I'm willing to cut back on hours, I'm not willing to quit completely. I'm also a member of the speech team, which is pretty much my only extracurricular. I've heard different things about the level of commitment IB requires, and I have a few questions.

How much homework is there on average? I've heard anywhere from three to five hours a night, this seems INSANE to me.

Is it possible to have a decent social life while doing IB and having a job? Will I have to learn to live without sleep?

I've heard the first year of IB is significantly easier than the second, is it true?

I just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up to be miserable my last two years of high school...any advice would be appreciated!

IB is definitely hard and at times it will kick your butt. But you can reduce how hard it's going to be for you if you are able to manage your time wisely. By wisely I mean don't procrastinate too much. :D I'm kind of procrastinating right now by writing this post. :P

I have a part-time job too, and two other priorities (martial arts and a volunteering position). While I did have to cut back some of my hours from my job, I didn't have to quit because of my schoolwork because I was able to manage my time well and not procrastinate too badly as well as continue my other things. The usual amount of homework I get per night during the regular year is about 2-3 hours. On some nights I have none or very little, and on some nights I just have a ton from each class. It's manageable if you do some, take a little break, then do some more until eventually it's all done.

I think I have a social life :P even though all IB kids joke about not having any. You may need an all-nighter, but to be honest I've never had to pull one yet. Although there was this one time I had to read the last 200 pages of Crime and Punishment (a 500+ page book!) the night before and I would take little naps throughout the night so I could read some of it without falling asleep too much before giving up at 2am and just going into school late so I could finish it in the morning...but that was my fault for procrastinating lol). But if you can adequately manage your time you shouldn't have to pull an all-nighter.

I can't answer the "first year is easier than second year" since I am not in IB2 yet, but all of the graduating seniors say that IB2 is harder than IB1 because you have a lot of IA's, exams, and stuff.

Good luck in IB! You can do it. :D

I felt like I didn't manage my time well during IB1, however upon learning from my mistakes I excelled in IB2. I went to class everyday and and Managed my due dates for the I.A.'s, EE, and TOK essay. I felt that IB2 was easier [even though there is more work], because you are used to the work load.

It is important to stay focused and do the work on time, as for the 3-5 hour homework nights... I never had those on a regular basis, they only occur rarely and it was usually because I had procrastinated. I would expect 1-2 hours on homework as a closer estimate, I personally never felt like IB got in my way.

• Like 1

I have a part time job and also play cricket every weekend during the summer. However i think you will cope fine with IB no matter how many higher subjects you take and how much extra curricular activities you do. As long as you stick to recommendations for deadlines etc. If your teachers say "It is best to do it soon..." DO IT. One thing i have learned is you will cope well if you do pieces of coursework etc when they are set. If you leave it late you will get stressed out. But the times i have done them early i have found the IB quite comfortable :) also with your extended essay get it started soon when you start as this will ensure less stress. It seems less of an issue if you do it gradually than if you leave it late. Don't worry you will be fine! Good luck to you the IB is brilliant. 100% worthwhile :)