Group 2 EE topic - too risky or not?

bkk(:

Hi guys, I'm currently in Mandarin B SL and chose to have Mandarin as my EE subject. I kinda wondered if my topic is too risky to 'argue' or research :S my topic is: how does [specific chinese idol group- to be decided later] influence chinese teenagers' lives and values?

I have a big picture of how it's gonna look like, but I'm not sure if this is an ok topic to get a B or higher grade. :/ I also have a backup plan, which would be something about changes in lifestyle of chinese people from 30 years ago to modern days, and possibly how this is reflected in several chinese novels if I must connect my ideas to literary works. Which one is better? Most importantly, do you guys think I can stick with the first topic? HELP I have EE workshop tomorrow at school and I just wanted to decide it before I go to school and actually research! thanks in advance!

Edited by bkk(:

Hi guys, I'm currently in Mandarin B SL and chose to have Mandarin as my EE subject. I kinda wondered if my topic is too risky to 'argue' or research :S my topic is: how does [specific chinese idol group- to be decided later] influence chinese teenagers' lives and values?

I have a big picture of how it's gonna look like, but I'm not sure if this is an ok topic to get a B or higher grade. :/ I also have a backup plan, which would be something about changes in lifestyle of chinese people from 30 years ago to modern days, and possibly how this is reflected in several chinese novels if I must connect my ideas to literary works. Which one is better? Most importantly, do you guys think I can stick with the first topic? HELP I have EE workshop tomorrow at school and I just wanted to decide it before I go to school and actually research! thanks in advance!

Hi bkk(:, I did my EE for Mandarin as well. First of all, your topic is a good start but it is too broad to be answered for your EE. Two parts of the research question that you should refine and be more focused:

1) You should pay attention to which idol group you are going to investigate for your EE. The idol group should have some significant impact in the music industry/well-known and not some random newbie/rookie bands (just my opinion, because in that way you will have more resources and arguments to talk about?).

2) What exactly are you talking about for 'influences'? I think that is a little fuzzy in terms of how idol groups can 'influence' society. Perhaps they may start new trends and such, but then you have to specify your research question.

Here's an example that is similar to your research question but to a different topic,

To what extent are Taiwanese idol dramas which aim to promote tourism in Taiwan a successful strategy to promote the island's tourism industry?

Edited by I`m Potato

Hi bkk(:, I did my EE for Mandarin as well. First of all, your topic is a good start but it is too broad to be answered for your EE. Two parts of the research question that you should refine and be more focused:

1) You should pay attention to which idol group you are going to investigate for your EE. The idol group should have some significant impact in the music industry/well-known and not some random newbie/rookie bands (just my opinion, because in that way you will have more resources and arguments to talk about?).

2) What exactly are you talking about for 'influences'? I think that is a little fuzzy in terms of how idol groups can 'influence' society. Perhaps they may start new trends and such, but then you have to specify your research question.

Here's an example that is similar to your research question but to a different topic,

To what extent are Taiwanese idol dramas which aim to promote tourism in Taiwan a successful strategy to promote the island's tourism industry?

Hi (:! Thanks again for your reply. I really couldn't find a good resource to support my research question on idol groups, but I did find an interesting called "brothers" by Yu Hua, so maybe I might be able to talk about the changes in society during the era of cultural revolution and change in economic system from communism to capitalism and how it is portrayed in the novel? What do you think about this one?

That's better I'd say. I think you'll have more resources to complete your EE if you are doing the literature route for a Group 2 EE, but this would also mean it will be the hardest option as you will need very competent Chinese writing skills. Make sure that you will be analyzing literature rather than describing events. So, basically this means that you will exploring how the author uses literary devices in order to portray the cultural changes. Perhaps you may want to find a work that is of a similar/identical theme as 'Brothers' so that you can make a comparison on the ways in which the works portray.

I think it would be too hectic to only concentrate on examining one novel only.

That's better I'd say. I think you'll have more resources to complete your EE if you are doing the literature route for a Group 2 EE, but this would also mean it will be the hardest option as you will need very competent Chinese writing skills. Make sure that you will be analyzing literature rather than describing events. So, basically this means that you will exploring how the author uses literary devices in order to portray the cultural changes. Perhaps you may want to find a work that is of a similar/identical theme as 'Brothers' so that you can make a comparison on the ways in which the works portray.

I think it would be too hectic to only concentrate on examining one novel only.

Thats a good idea too. (: Just to be checked, do you think this would make a good research question? Or should I search for a novel with similar theme and have a different title?

So far, I came up with the question: how do two main characters in the novel "brothers" show the rapid change in chinese economic system which resulted in drastic contrast of two social classes?

I'll look for few novels that shares the same topic just in case though. Thanks so much!!

"How do two main characters in the novel "brothers" show the rapid change in chinese economic system which resulted in drastic contrast of two social classes?"

First of all, I think the first part of your question is very focused, but then the second part of it starts drifting away into the culture too much. Because from the research question the examiners will see that you are analyzing literature and not the culture, hence the cultural part to your question is too, detailed? I would say...

Maybe this would be more refined...

"How do the two protagonists in the novel "Brothers" illustrate contrasts between two different social classes within the rapidly changing Chinese economic system?"

Perhaps this wording would sound more as if you are doing a literary analysis, rather than just using a novel to support your explanation on China's cultural development.

Edited by I`m Potato