Are images allowed in an IA?

Surfchick516

Alrighty then, I am writing my History IA on a relatively recent topic (The influence of the 1980 Olympic hockey games upon American morale during the Cold War). One of my teachers suggested inserting helpful and interesting pictures of the games.

This is our school's first year teaching IB, and I'm mildly concerned that this teacher has no idea what he's talking about. Are images allowed in an IA? Or is it strictly text?

You are allowed to include pictures in your work. What is more, my friend based her IA only on pictures, so there are no certain limits regarding it. However, I'm not sure whether they should be put in an appendix, or can be included in the IA.

You are allowed to include pictures in your work. What is more, my friend based her IA only on pictures, so there are no certain limits regarding it. However, I'm not sure whether they should be put in an appendix, or can be included in the IA.

Thank you so much! Do you know approximately how many she used?

As far as I know, I would stick to just text, unless you are doing an IA based on old photographs. Yet, this is something you would have to check up for sure in the history syllabus (if it is stated). There is nothing on the grading schemes for the IA that says "no pictures". Just remember, when the grader goes to read the IA, they won't be caring about the pictures. Make sure you don't try and cover up your writing downfalls with many pictures, the graders know what to look for, so it won't work :P

Not sure precisely, but there were not more than 20 of them... and only some of them were put in the main text.

I think if the photos are relevant to what you are writting and you are going to refer to what is presented in them in your text, then putting the pictures in a main text would cause no problem. It will even be easier for the supervisor to know what you are refering to without browsing through your appendix.

Not sure precisely, but there were not more than 20 of them... and only some of them were put in the main text.

I think if the photos are relevant to what you are writting and you are going to refer to what is presented in them in your text, then putting the pictures in a main text would cause no problem. It will even be easier for the supervisor to know what you are refering to without browsing through your appendix.

Exactly. Plus there's no guarantee the examiner will go completely through the appendix so I'd say the main body as long as it's relevant.

There is nothing wrong with using pictures, if they are relevant to your IA and contribute to your argument. But I would strongly advise you to put them in your Appendix. My history teacher is a history IA and Extended Essay examiner and tells us repeatedly that pictures belong in the appendix. In fact, examiners even take off points if pictures are in the main body.

Found another source stating this: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/rmhs/departments/socialstudies/ibhistoryia/sections.htm