Should I go to a Canadian university or an American university?

IntellectualBadAss

First of all,

I am Canadian... I go to IB in Vancouver.

I plan to take biology or biochem major in undergraduate and pursue a medical career. (plan to take med school)

Should I apply to UBC or UoT or McGill or a california univesrity like UC berkeley or UCLA? I want to go to a univesrity that offer good life science courses.

I am also considering universities in UK but i don't know which one specifically.

Any suggestions/ advices would be greatly appreciated :D

It doesn't matter where you go for undergrad. Go to the school that offers you the most scholarship money and/or the city you'd like to live in the most. UBC/UoA/McGill are all solid Canadian unis for the sciences, but you'll be fine at, say, McMaster's.

One thing to keep in mind though is that foreign Unis sometimes offer med school at the undergraduate level; that may or may not be an option that interests you. There's lots of fine graduate med schools in the UK and US, and in Canada nothing beats McGill's.

• Like 1

All of the UK Medical Schools bar I think 2 offer Medicine as a 5 or 6 year course starting from Undergraduate level, so it runs through both your Undergraduate and Postgraduate years (should point out that you don't get 2 separate degrees, it's all one). It's the way it's always gone here, traditionally. You can enter as a graduate from another course, but you have to start from the beginning still (i.e. still do the 5 years, regardless of whether you did something random like History or relevant like Biomedicine!), so generally people only enter as graduates if they've had a re-think about what they want to do in life or if they didn't get in the first time and thought they'd do an interim degree before trying again.

Pretty much every Medical School in the UK has a good reputation (one or two of the newer ones a little bit less). Certain things differentiate them from each other such as research, teaching style (this is actually really important), exposure to patients in the early years and so on. They're very competitive to enter, but it's probably worth considering it. To my understanding a 5 or 6 year course (depends where you go and whether you do a BSc in the middle) is still shorter than the US/Canadian version. You're doing a medically themed syllabus all the way along, so I can see how it would save a lot of time rather than doing some random degree first! :blink:

If you're interested, I can happily give you many more details, but I won't go on at length now in case you're not really that interested in the UK :P

All of the UK Medical Schools bar I think 2 offer Medicine as a 5 or 6 year course starting from Undergraduate level, so it runs through both your Undergraduate and Postgraduate years (should point out that you don't get 2 separate degrees, it's all one). It's the way it's always gone here, traditionally. You can enter as a graduate from another course, but you have to start from the beginning still (i.e. still do the 5 years, regardless of whether you did something random like History or relevant like Biomedicine!), so generally people only enter as graduates if they've had a re-think about what they want to do in life or if they didn't get in the first time and thought they'd do an interim degree before trying again.

Pretty much every Medical School in the UK has a good reputation (one or two of the newer ones a little bit less). Certain things differentiate them from each other such as research, teaching style (this is actually really important), exposure to patients in the early years and so on. They're very competitive to enter, but it's probably worth considering it. To my understanding a 5 or 6 year course (depends where you go and whether you do a BSc in the middle) is still shorter than the US/Canadian version. You're doing a medically themed syllabus all the way along, so I can see how it would save a lot of time rather than doing some random degree first! :blink:

If you're interested, I can happily give you many more details, but I won't go on at length now in case you're not really that interested in the UK :P

yes, i am interested in UK also!! please provide me more details about the UK med university system. Also, do i have to take any standardize test to go to UK universities? like SAT for america. If you know, please tell me the predicted IB points required for top 10 UK med universities. Also, scholarship and tuition for international students.

thank you very much :D