Anna Karenina, Madame Bovary & A Doll's House

1. The Characterisation of Anna in Anna Karenina and of Emma in Madame Bovary as mothers.

2. Death in Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary.

3. The domination of Karenin over Anna and of Torvald over Nora.

4. Anna in Anna Karenina as an ideal version of Emma in Madame Bovary. (Anna has everything that Emma wants)

Which topic do you think is best and most suitable for a WL? I need to hand in my outline tomorrow and I have only been working on topic 1 which I now think is not a good topic. Help? Thanks in advance.

1. The Characterisation of Anna in Anna Karenina and of Emma in Madame Bovary as mothers.

2. Death in Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary.

3. The domination of Karenin over Anna and of Torvald over Nora.

4. Anna in Anna Karenina as an ideal version of Emma in Madame Bovary. (Anna has everything that Emma wants)

Which topic do you think is best and most suitable for a WL? I need to hand in my outline tomorrow and I have only been working on topic 1 which I now think is not a good topic. Help? Thanks in advance.

The Characterisation of Anna in Anna Karenina and of Emma in Madame Bovary as mothers.

This one looks really interesting, and it has been reduced.

The others are too broad or generic.

• Like 1

Oh and while 3 is a very interesting observation, I don't think it's literary enough unless you can prove that it somehow happened on purpose or something like that? I don't know much about these books, but the topic seems like it would lent itself to talking a lot about characters and not author's characterizations and intent.

Whichever you pick, good luck! :)

okay then i'll stick with topic 1. the outline is almost ready anyway because i've had the evidences with me. i just need to make it an outline :)

i have actually been wanting to write on topic 3 but yes i was afraid it's not literary enough :(

i'd try to write a good outline on topic 1 then. thanks a lot!

discussion is still open as my teacher told me to prepare a second topic just in case if this outline isn't good enough.

• 1 month later...

I've always thought finding a symbol for character development is pretty easy. I have a sample WLP1 that uses food as a symbol to reflect the personality of characters of the books you're doing. I could provide you with the quotes if you're interested.

I'm leaning on the same idea myself, although I'm doing different WL books, I just found a different symbol. :blum:

I've always thought finding a symbol for character development is pretty easy. I have a sample WLP1 that uses food as a symbol to reflect the personality of characters of the books you're doing. I could provide you with the quotes if you're interested.

I'm leaning on the same idea myself, although I'm doing different WL books, I just found a different symbol. :blum:

yep I guess my topic is not that difficult :) but still, I don't think I have enough explanation as what I did is pretty much just mentioning the evidences and simply concluding. sigh.

and, thanks for the offer! but I'm pretty sure I have the same exemplar already :) it's "Food Consumption in Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina" right? :)

yep I guess my topic is not that difficult :) but still, I don't think I have enough explanation as what I did is pretty much just mentioning the evidences and simply concluding. sigh.

and, thanks for the offer! but I'm pretty sure I have the same exemplar already :) it's "Food Consumption in Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina" right? :)

yeah, that's the one :blum:

:/ Hmm I'll help you back one day.

Oh man, it must've taken you months to read Anna Karenina....