Quick question about Entry Requirements

knucklebumper

If under the entry requirements of the university it says: "Two science subjects preferred" - does the "preferred" mean I have a good chance of getting in to the university with only one science?

It differs from uni to uni because each university has their own internal admissions policy and it really depends on how seriously they take the 'requirements'. One of the best solutions would be to give them a ring or contact them via email. Explain your position and enquire what their policy is. Try to ask whether anything can compensate for the 'two science subjects preferred' element. e.g. if you have taken GCSE sciences and received good grades in them ask whether these will suffice as a reasonable compensation.

N.B. If you are thinking of applying for competitive subjects such as medicine, most unis would expect to see chemistry in your subject choices. Most engineering courses also expect physics (at HL and sometimes HL maths).

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

Usually it means that most of the colleges at the university do require two sciences at HL, but not all of them do. Oxbridge and some other of the better universities at least put it like that. However it could also mean that for instance 80% of the students admitted to the course have two sciences at HL or equivalent.

Anyway, what university and what course are you applying to? If you are applying to Psychology I would still reckon you have a good chance with your subject combination. Some universities even consider Psychology as a science for science courses, so you might already have two sciences according to some. :) Then again, all of this depends on the university and the course that you're applying to.

• Like 1

Usually it means that most of the colleges at the university do require two sciences at HL, but not all of them do. Oxbridge and some other of the better universities at least put it like that. However it could also mean that for instance 80% of the students admitted to the course have two sciences at HL or equivalent.

Anyway, what university and what course are you applying to? If you are applying to Psychology I would still reckon you have a good chance with your subject combination. Some universities even consider Psychology as a science for science courses, so you might already have two sciences according to some. :) Then again, all of this depends on the university and the course that you're applying to.

I'm planning to do an Environmental Science BSc (Hon) course in the UK and my number one choice is the University of York :) This university (along with most others) only require one science subject (YAY), so I'm fine with applying to most. But there are a couple that say the whole "two sciences preferred" thing, so I was just a little worried. And I checked but sadly psychology doesn't count (for this field). But thank you so much for your help! :) I hope I'll be part of the 20% admitted with just one science ;)

can I ask something,

for the english language requirement, for IB diploma students, when they say like a minimum of 5 in English, if they don't state A1, A2 or B, do they refer to any of the English courses? or do they always refer to English A1?

because I asked Imperial College London (whose website didn't specify A1, A2 or B either) and they said I just need to score a 5 in my English B HL and I don't need TOEFL/IELTS.

however some other unis also don't specify but I don't feel like asking every single uni so can I assume that English only refers to any IB English course?

Guest Soiboist

can I ask something,

for the english language requirement, for IB diploma students, when they say like a minimum of 5 in English, if they don't state A1, A2 or B, do they refer to any of the English courses? or do they always refer to English A1?

because I asked Imperial College London (whose website didn't specify A1, A2 or B either) and they said I just need to score a 5 in my English B HL and I don't need TOEFL/IELTS.

however some other unis also don't specify but I don't feel like asking every single uni so can I assume that English only refers to any IB English course?

To generalise a bit, the universities know very little about the IB, but even less about its specific courses. They will have no clue of the difference between A1 and A2 whatsoever (and in the future they will be utterly confused by Literature and Language and Literature). However, as English B has the word B in it, they will understand that it is a course directed for non-native English-speaking people. Having English B would only be a problem if you're applying to a course where there will be much focus on writing essays, as for instance in Law, Politics or History, or if it is a language degree obviously. If you're applying to either Physics, Engineering or Mathematics, as I suppose you are, no one will even think about it. As long as you pass the requirements for that subject you're fine and its your total score that matters. You still want a good grade though as a 4 would lower your total, as I'm sure you understand. Keep in mind that individual scores matters for your HLs, and especially those related to your degree.

So yes, you can assume that for every degree where English is not a related or relevant subject, the requirements stated are satisfied by English B.