SL to HL

F.Farhour

Hi

I am about to choose my subjects for IB Diploma. I am quite good at maths, but am not sure if I'm good enough for HL maths. Is it possible for me to change from SL maths to HL maths in the middle of the course? (that is if I get good scores and do well in SL)

Thanks,

upgrading from SL to HL is usually harder and more troublesome, sometimes not allowed, than dropping from HL to SL.

actually this has happened to many people (wanting to take HL but is afraid if they won't survive) and I believe, the best solution is to take 4 HL first (including math) and 2 SL. then as the first semester goes by, you can decide which one of the 4 to drop to SL. if you are doing good in math, drop something else that you feel you are weakest at. if you are struggling in math then drop it. good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I started my IB course with SL Maths, but a month later I found out that I need HL Maths to have a change at getting into the field I want (electrical engineering). I do have Physics at HL though.

Since I need HL and SL is actually too easy for me, I thought about transferring. Took like 3 weeks to persuade the DPC to let me choose whether to transfer.

The question is, how hard would the jump be? I imagine it would be horrible even though I covered a good portion of the material I'd have to catch up on by myself. Am I making a sane decision? :D

From what you have said, I am going to assume you are a math person. If Math SL is too easy for you, then you'll be fine. I'd even say go for it if it gets you in the field you want.

I haven't taken math HL, but I've been hearing it's no walk in the park. If you're mathematically inclined and you have the work and study habits, go for it. Just take a good look at the syllabus for HL and see if the material you are going to be covering is doable.

You sound pretty competent, as you've already prepared ahead. With that attitude, I think you can do it! But hopefully someone that has taken HL can offer you some more insightful guidance. :)

• Like 1

Hey, i my self shifted from math sl to hl last year. This happened around 2-3 months after the 11th grade had started. To be honest with you, the earlier you comet o math hl the better it is because in the amount of time you will do something in sl, the hl kids will be a few steps ahead and you don't want to miss out on too much portion. Luckily for me i didn't miss out on much. So decide quickly and take hl if you want. I agree with some of the cmments which say take hl first and drop (god forbid) if you find it difficult. You can then take some other subject at hl(you obviously have to maintain the 3-3 sl-hl balance).

• Like 1

Thanks :D I could be viewed as a maths/sciences person. I had really good grades in the national system. I have fairly competent study habits, I don't give into the monster known as procrastination.:D

At SL I've only covered functions and sequences/series.

At HL they've already covered functions, sequences/series, exponents, regular/natural logarithms, binomial theorem, induction, complex numbers and polynomials.

I know most of the concepts but there's still loads of cathing up to do since I need practice. LOTS of practice. I have to make the transfer decision after fall break (next week), so I could use the extra time for catching up. Would anyone happen to know places where to find tasks/whatever? Preferrably ones found in HL tests, as the textbook alone won't cut it from what I've heard. Thanks in advance :D