Math EE Game Theory

mathlete94

Hello,

I have decided to do my EE in math. I want to do it on game theory in evolutionary biology, is that a common topic? How would I go about writing it? I dont want to make it a book summary from the books I am using as a guide. SO far, I have described Prisoners Dilemma and I plan to write about a situation in Biology. Any help would be great and I am also looking for example papers in math!!

there needs to be some calculation in a math EE you know :blink:

what are you going to do? what are you going to write? keep in mind your EE must not lean too much towards the other subject.

purchase a VIP subscription and download the EE examples here or google for 50 Excellent Extended Essays and grab the math ones. there are 4, I think. and they are really good.

It's possible to use biological examples as evidence of your mathematical concept applied in reality if you really did want to. In that case, I would write no more than a medium-sized paragraph, and focus specifically on the numbers rather than any biological concepts. I have no clue where the evolutionary part would come in either, because things like intraspecific competition isn't evolutionary so much as population dynamics.

Why not just do game theory? It's interesting, fairly impressive to tackle at this level, and as the above posters mentioned, writing more than a passing mention about biology in your Math EE will probably negatively impact your overall score.

It's possible to use biological examples as evidence of your mathematical concept applied in reality if you really did want to. In that case, I would write no more than a medium-sized paragraph, and focus specifically on the numbers rather than any biological concepts. I have no clue where the evolutionary part would come in either, because things like intraspecific competition isn't evolutionary so much as population dynamics.

Why not just do game theory? It's interesting, fairly impressive to tackle at this level, and as the above posters mentioned, writing more than a passing mention about biology in your Math EE will probably negatively impact your overall score.

If I do just game theory as you said, wouldnt I have to focus on one thing? I couldnt just talk about game theory.

Could you give me an example that would be game theory related but focused more on the math?

Thanks everyone for your posts. I do have the summer to read up on my EE or even change it.

If I do just game theory as you said, wouldnt I have to focus on one thing? I couldnt just talk about game theory.

Could you give me an example that would be game theory related but focused more on the math?

Thanks everyone for your posts. I do have the summer to read up on my EE or even change it.

You can discuss the history/development of Game Theory: its origins, who contributed what, etc. You can also apply it to topics like biology without specifically talking about biology; using generic numbers for a game and showing how the calculations results in an outcome observed in nature.

If you were to use actual data from a study in the field of Biology, you would have to be very careful to keep your EE focused on data and statistical analysis. Your conclusion would therefore be based on the numbers, and not on biological knowledge and/or evidence.

Maybe you can try taking up Desy's recommendation of looking up past Mathematics EEs; likely someone will have written on applied mathematics, and you can look at their balance and approach.

• Like 1

You can discuss the history/development of Game Theory: its origins, who contributed what, etc. You can also apply it to topics like biology without specifically talking about biology; using generic numbers for a game and showing how the calculations results in an outcome observed in nature.

If you were to use actual data from a study in the field of Biology, you would have to be very careful to keep your EE focused on data and statistical analysis. Your conclusion would therefore be based on the numbers, and not on biological knowledge and/or evidence.

Maybe you can try taking up Desy's recommendation of looking up past Mathematics EEs; likely someone will have written on applied mathematics, and you can look at their balance and approach.

Thanks so much! That helped a lot! I wish you luck in you future endeavors, IB related or not!

just want to confirm yes I think there is one exemplar on a poker game which uses game theory, I suppose?

the hardest part in writing an EE in Math is finding a decent topic. I suggest reading mathematics blogs or math problems so you can talk about them and expand on them.

You shouldn't do about the history of game theory..

Actually, you definitely can, as long as the EE is focused about the development of the mathematical theories, and not, say, a biography of persons involved.

http://schools.4j.la...ssayfor2009.pdf

And thanks Mathlete! =P

I have heard this as well for Math EEs. As long as its not completely a summary of secondary resources.

You shouldn't do about the history of game theory..

Actually, you definitely can, as long as the EE is focused about the development of the mathematical theories, and not, say, a biography of persons involved.

http://schools.4j.la...ssayfor2009.pdf

And thanks Mathlete! =P

I have heard this as well for Math EEs. As long as its not completely a summary of secondary resources.

How would you make it so the EE is not a summary of secondary sources? Would you show mathematically how game theory was and how it changed?