Help for the decision!

Hey guys,

I just need help because I have a big problem and just don't know what to do.

I am a foreign student in england. I moved to england last year in august to do the IB-course. Now I am nearly to the second year and did my first MOKs.

My Subjects are:

Higher:

German A1

English A1

History

Biology

(I will drop english to standard next year)

Standard:

Maths SL

Psychology

My problem is that I faild in 4 subjects: Hitory, English, Psychology,Maths.

In Germany I got a 7 and in biology perdicted a 5.

I know I started revision too late and Maths is not that big problem for me but I am worried about History, English and Psychology. I understand everything but in the essays...I have no idea why they are so bad...I mean, the teachers give me feedback (e.g. in history not enough information in the essays) but I just cannot really get it to change it then in the essays. My courseworks are not too bad as well but after the MOKs I really think about to give up and go back to Germany what I actually dont want. I want to do my IB but I'm not sure if I am good enough. So I need a help! Maybe there are som foreign students can tell me if they think that my grades can go up in the next year or if I sould better give up. I just dont know what to do..

x

Marie

Don't get too hard on yourself. Although you failed some subjects, there is still plenty of room for improvement and you still have plenty of time. The only necessity that you need to worry about it gaining your 12 points in your HL subjects, which I think you will be fine doing.

English SL is not much easier than HL, just letting you know. You just have to write one less world literature, and you don't have to read as many books. They don't mark the essays any easier, there are just less of them. I can't say much about History, as I don't do it, but yeah.

Don't give up on IB, you still have a year to go, and you'll be amazed about how much you can improve in that year. And besides, I don't think you want to look back on your last year of school and remember yourself giving up. Keep at it and put in the hard yards. The work ethic you will learn and everything else will carry on throughout life ;)

• Like 1

Just some quick advices for each subject ;)

Biology is a really hard subject because you need to pay attention to small details and literally munch the whole syllabus and book... so that's not much of a hard thing to understand that you need to memorise it and this applies to Psychology too. On the other hand, Maths, is a subject that you need to work on a daily basis and always paying attention to the method and paper style exercises and that's the only way I know to reach the 6 in Maths whereas for History, you honestly, have to basically put everything but EVERYTHING you know about historical facts even if they don't relate in any way to the question (lol...) but like, following a clear answer structure and it's important that you focus on ideas and events.

English is a very particular subject specially as an A1 language. You need to have a great knowledge of English almost as if it were your mother language German. But a good thing, would be to just pick up some paper 1 questions and do them and after that, show it to the teacher and ask for her opinion. Take her opinion and then, improve. Improve until you've got nothing else to correct. However, I warn you, there's always something to correct and improve... it's really tough work now... You should also read more in English. Stay connected to news sites and TV channels - it'll help you improve your English both spoken and written - because I notice that you've got some problems with collocations and prepositions ;) I agree that SL is not as hard as HL (that's why it's called SL... XD) but it requires work too.

Never put aside some subject just because you're focusing on one in particular. Get yourself a schedule and plan everything. Next year is going to be really tough for you :/ (and for me... lool) you'll have to study during summer too :S It's just advices :) But have faith! Everything is possible!!!!