Extended Essay based on GCSE coursework

danielb93

Hi, I am considering basing my Extended Essay on Osmosis, referring to Biology. The essay will consist of an investigation and experiment. However, I have previously completed this coursework as a GCSE at approx 1000 words.

I am considering basing my extended essay on this same topic as I feel more experienced in this field, and I am able to simply expand on the essay I have already written, although I will need to conduct the experiment again. Would you recommend this idea?

Also, what are the IB rules regarding this and plagarism, as I will be writing a completely new essay in my own words, but it will be based on experience I already have previously. Will I be accused of plagarism?

Therefore, it will be as if I have experience in this field already, I will only have to conduct background research and obviously provide sources. I would appreciate any advice you can provide. Many thanks in advance.

You can't plagiarise your own work... And besides, I'm assuming that your work is not submitted online nor is famous, so they won't know unless you tell them anyway.

And regarding the experiment, as long as you have enough data to get the analysis and stuff that you want to do, and enough to get a good grade, go ahead.

Personally, I don't think you're meant to, but hell, there's nothing stopping you if you think the standard is up the scratch.

well, I've just looked at my Biology GCSE coursework now, and it is 6,000 words! So I could easily re-conduct the experiment and re write it more concisely to a higher standard. My only worry is, if I conduct the same investigation, which is, how is Osmosis affected by different concentrations of Sucrose solution in plant tissue? Will the IB board know or care?? Because I am genuinely interested in this topic and I'm not looking for an easy way around doing the extended essay, but it is easy to find out that coursework was set by OCR in 2010.

Does this break the IB rules, I have read the academic honesty policy and no where does it say that you can't use your own work you have written previously. Thanks in advance.

well, I've just looked at my Biology GCSE coursework now, and it is 6,000 words! So I could easily re-conduct the experiment and re write it more concisely to a higher standard. My only worry is, if I conduct the same investigation, which is, how is Osmosis affected by different concentrations of Sucrose solution in plant tissue? Will the IB board know or care?? Because I am genuinely interested in this topic and I'm not looking for an easy way around doing the extended essay, but it is easy to find out that coursework was set by OCR in 2010.

Does this break the IB rules, I have read the academic honesty policy and no where does it say that you can't use your own work you have written previously. Thanks in advance.

I think it should be fine...as long as you don't completely regurgitate what you've done for your GCSE coursework. Hmmmmm. It's a bit of a controversial issue though, I don't know.

Good luck!