Chromatography and Rf

Hello :)

We did a lab in chemistry HL about the chromatography of M&Ms. I have found the Rf for each M&M thus far, but what I am missing is the possible colorants... which I need to find on the Internet and I have had no luck whatsoever with that!

Do you have any suggestions or websites which can help me find the colours that match my Rf, please?

Thank you so much :)

Hello :)

We did a lab in chemistry HL about the chromatography of M&Ms. I have found the Rf for each M&M thus far, but what I am missing is the possible colorants... which I need to find on the Internet and I have had no luck whatsoever with that!

Do you have any suggestions or websites which can help me find the colours that match my Rf, please?

Thank you so much :)

I think you will have major difficulty in finding the values. Remember that Rf values differ under different conditions (what stationary phase you used, what mobile phase, what temperature). Thus you will need to find a Rf data book which fits your conditions rather than go looking for a substance with a similar Rf value (e.g. the Rf value 0.342 is meaningless without the conditions as different substances will have the same Rf value under different conditions). Rf data books are massive as they try to state all the possible common conditions (i.e. they will state water-ethanol solution with common volume fractions, water-propanol solution with common volume fractions ect.)

Thus, I would look no further if I were you.