Maths HL Or SL for Cambridge medicine

ibforlife

I don't think it does require HL Maths :blink: At least, I know someone doing Medicine at Cambridge and they definitely did SL Maths.

I'd do SL for sure unless they really have made HL a requirement in the last two years. They ask for a really high overall total (around 42, often) so you don't want to do HL Maths as it's very difficult to score high without being a Maths god or working so hard that you can't work so hard on other also hard subjects - i.e. HL Chemistry! Also the pressure of having to get such a high total can be extremely stressful - there's a difference between being predicted a high total and then having to achieve that total or not get in which is pretty intense. Aiming for 42 but only needing 38 > aiming for 42 but needing 42!

• Like 1

Some colleges ask for HL like Trinity. I think there are a few other but most require SL. And Good luck on applying for Medicine in the UK. Hope you pull through. I certainly know that UCAS is an experience I never want to repeat again.

If you don't need it, though, doing HL Maths won't add anything to your application :no: So why bother? Other subjects at HL can actually show a greater versatility, for instance HL English or another essay writing subject shows what the sciences don't: that you're an excellent communicator. Majorly important attribute in a Doctor. Taking HL Maths to make your life harder won't necessarily be picked up on or appreciated extra by an admissions department.

If anything, it's typical for International students to go science/maths crazy. In some weird backwards way it would be un-stereotyping yourself :P All in all, I wouldn't do it myself. I honestly think it'd harm you more than help you, HL Maths is HARD.

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

Yeah I want to take HL considering I am an international student which makes it more difficult for me, and there is greater competition.

In what way would the admission to Cambridge be more difficult to you because you are an international student?

Mainly because the other candidates would offer HL mathematics, as competition is extremely high, and their A-levels would have three sciences, (Maths counts as a science) and in the IB it is not possible to take three sciences at HL so Maths would compensate for it...

Mainly because the other candidates would offer HL mathematics, as competition is extremely high, and their A-levels would have three sciences, (Maths counts as a science) and in the IB it is not possible to take three sciences at HL so Maths would compensate for it...

Taking Math HL will not make you more competitive, if the desired college doesn't require it you do not need to have it. Yes most ppl in the A levels will take three science but the admissions will know that in most of the world you cannot take 3 sciences in the IB. So don't fret too much.

Math does not compensate for it. Once you tick the boxes for the requirements what you need to think of is points not subjects. We don't have any credits or anything so it's all about the total. After all the secret of life is the number 42.

Which level of maths is required for the top unis, I heard that Cambridge requires maths at HL for medicine that is, how difficult and time consuming is it?

Any tips for Maths HL?

Cheers

Hi Ibforlife,

Most of members here have advised that you do not take HL maths and I absolutely agree with them. HL maths has large topics in calculus, probability, vectors ect. which have no relevance to your future career. As others have said, you are better off getting a higher maths and overall grade. I would like to add that there are ways in which you can increase your competitiveness other than taking maths at HL. This summer you really should be doing some medical related work or taking some medical related courses. I am sure that these will stand out much more in your application than the HL maths. These are also useful for your interview which most colleges have as part of their selection process. Having done these things, you will be able to talk about your personal experience and opinions with confidence, show that you have in-depth understanding about the subject and give an overall good impression. Thus, to sum up my advice, allocate the time which you would have needed to study HL maths (which is a lot) to doing activities related to medicine that will strengthen your application. Good luck!