Football Discussion

Guest 1529

Hey to everyone,

I guess that in here almost no one discusses about football (soccer, that is) but since I'm quite fanatic about football, I decided to start a new topic only about football where you can discuss and say what you want about your team (national or championship), players and UEFA, etc.

It's intended to have a normal and decent discussion. It's obvious that each person supports something different but just try to have a more objective view rather than subjective. For example, I could say that C. Ronaldo is the best actual player because I don't like Messi and since I love Ronaldo... but that doesn't add anything to this debate. Thus, you should explain why you like one and not the other.

What is demanded is to have a discussion about how teams play or should play and how leagues should be organised, etc

It would be interesting to add your own personal experience too ;)

Edited by 1529

To all of you who say that Barça is the best, well, I disagree for a number of reasons.

Starting with the support which they get for every word and action from UEFA just because they have there 3 executives between the 8 main ones which is not fair. I mean, who the hell changes the referee just because Pep Guardiola said he was Portuguese?! So...?

And then, all the anti-football actions they do such as diving and pressuring the referee is just really really shameful for a team that says and spreads the word that they are THE ONLY TEAM WHO PLAY FOOTBALL... (right... so what are the other teams doing? Playing barbies??! :|) Relating to this too, their marketing strategy is really smart to fool people with everything they say such as they're the only team who play football, others don't, Barça is the best - that's the only thing they'll say if you notice their speeches...

Ahh never mind, there are just too many reasons. Anyone who wants to argue with me, is free to but I warn you, I'm very stubborn in this and I certainly won't quit. The thing is, that I don't deny the fact that they are a good team probably a great one but it's a pity that they need to recur to external stuff to have success...

For me, Real Madrid is right now, the best team. Direct football and a free one with loads of different tactics. Yes, I'm influenced by the fact that C. Ronaldo, Carvalho, Pepe and Mourinho are there but that doesn't really influence the reality.

Liverpool is a great team too ;) but I prefer Manchester Utd, sorry :)

• Like 1

I don't really like their football even though I admit is a good one. They basically don't let the opponents play since they keep the ball possession and more than half of that possession is done in their side of the field which is really annoying. After some time, it will make their adversaries freak out and that's when they attack...

For me, that's not real football. If you want to really play like men, play direct football such as in English football.

Totally. But with Arsenal the problem is different... I don't think they're playing efficiently with the players. They have a philosophy and they apply it whether it's with players th characteristics to play with that philosophy of football or not. Making those who are not adapted to that system ending up not playing at their best. Arsenal should also fire Wenger. He's been there for too long - my view

Edited by 1529

Totally. But with Arsenal the problem is different... I don't think they're playing efficiently with the players. They have a philosophy and they apply it whether it's with players with characteristics to play with that philosophy of football or not and those who are not adapted to that system end up not playing at their best. Arsenal should also fire Wenger. He's been there for too long - my view

I think Wenger does a pretty good job, he just doesn't win competitions (which I suppose warrants criticism). Like he gets players ready and then he lets them leave if they want to. But they don't usually end up leaving until they get older - I suppose it's because they like it and they are well treated. And, not sure if it's just because I'm an Arsenal supporter, but I love watch their style of football...

He does a good job in developing talents but for a demanding club as Arsenal should be, it's not the only thing needed. I know that Arsenal has a good football (quite similar to the Barça one but quicker and more direct) but the thing is, Wenger doesn't know how to win matches. And right now, no player wants to stay as a gunner... Just see Cesc - a key player - and Arsenal is letting him go because it's obvious that players want to win titles.

He does a good job in developing talents but for a demanding club as Arsenal should be, it's not the only thing needed. I know that Arsenal has a good football (quite similar to the Barça one but quicker and more direct) but the thing is, Wenger doesn't know how to win matches. And right now, no player wants to stay as a gunner... Just see Cesc - a key player - and Arsenal is letting him go because it's obvious that players want to win titles.

I agree, but Wenger can't lay all the blame. Take for example their loss against Birmingham in the final, now that should have been in the bag, regardless of their tactics. Their mentality lost that one.

Well, obviously that Wenger can't take all the blame but the primary fault is his. He's the one who has to mentalise the players and emotionally control them. All players at a certain moment feel down if nothing's going fine, right? It's Wenger's duty to take care of that. So, because of that, he gets the blame. But also, the executives are always doing mistakes as well as players who don't score

I agree Wenger should get sacked. He has one plan for Arsenal and when that doesn't work he has no other option. Yes, he has been a hugely successful manager and will always be remembered as a great for arsenal. And as for Barca what is wrong with keeping possession? Outplaying the team. It's effective.

And as for Barca what is wrong with keeping possession? Outplaying the team. It's effective.

It's not a fair match to keep the ball at their defence, not letting the opponents play. That's not football, man! That's the problem... it's basically, not giving the chance for the other team to play not because you're attacking very much but because you're circulating the ball within your defenders :| do you think that is fair play?! It's called humiliating in a decent match if you start making the opponent players run after the ball in a triangle or so

I don't know how to say it in English but in Portuguese, we call it "jogar à rabia" and it's really bad seen specially because it pisses off adversaries.

Effective..uhmm... yes, psychologically. It's called mind-raping somebody

I don't deny the fact that it's clever. What I'm saying is that in my opinion, it's anti-football as it goes against fair play

You're free to believe that doing 10 consecutive passes to your teammate who is 2 metres aside you is good football... for me, it's not. It's actually disgusting. However, I do admit that Xavi and Iniesta are just out of this world when it comes to passing the ball as they prove they can do the same with the Spanish national team ;)