English Oral Presentation

Markee

Hello guys~! So let me get straight to the point here...

In 3-4 weeks time, my class will be having an oral presentation (10mins. minimum) discussing about a novel or poem of our liking to the class about it's literary effects wand what not. So, knowing I don't have that wide range of knowledge on Lit. Effects, and having a dilemma of which poem to pick, I ask you guys this...

Which of the 3 poems do you think I should present?

• Ode for Ted by Sylivia Plath
  • Tulips by Sylvia Plath
  • After Apple Picking by Robert Frost

I wish to do mine on Ode for Ted, but, it seems it doesn't have that much I can look or present in it, whereas Tulips and After Apple Picking has... So, for now, which poem??? - Afterwards we could discuss What Lit. effect.

Thank you once again!

• Like 1

I prefer Tulips. It's got a massive amount of imagery in it and other interesting poetry techniques.

Are you doing yours on Tulips?? Oh wait, you've done your orals already , right?

I've done my oral. It wasn't on Tulips, but I'm familiar with the poem. I enjoyed it.

I prefer Tulips. It's got a massive amount of imagery in it and other interesting poetry techniques.

Are you doing yours on Tulips?? Oh wait, you've done your orals already , right?

I've done my oral. It wasn't on Tulips, but I'm familiar with the poem. I enjoyed it.

So you don't mind, helping me out then? :)

• Like 1

Erm...okay. I'll try to. You need help now? Because I'm slightly busy now with my EE, but will be free soon in the day.

Erm...okay. I'll try to. You need help now? Because I'm slightly busy now with my EE, but will be free soon in the day.

Let's do it tomorrow :P Since I will still need the opinion of the other guys here in IBS. :) Thanks buddy!

• Like 1

ooooo', This year we spent a great deal of time on Sylvia Plath(Daddy, lady Lazarus, Cut, the applicant, fever 103) and Ted Hughes (his collection from Birthday Letters)

I too, would recommend Tulips.

It's a complex and well crafted poem and there is a lot to talk about. The desire for isolation and the hospital anonymity provides the set-up for a journey moving from that desire of isolation to health.

There is a ton of Eye imagery ("Like an eye between two white lids that will not shut." "Stupid pupil, it has to take everything in")

The use of the color red (brings the narrator back to the reality of her own pain)

Tulips are serve as an agitation to the narrator ("I didn't want any flowers", "the tulips are too red in the first place"), which creates irony.

The contrast of Death (represented by the white hospital walls)it is peaceful and pure vs. Life (The vibrant Tulips) which makes her face reality and responsibilities.

Oops, I think I got a bit carried away.

• Like 1

So if I were to pick Tulips, since I too find the dark and sorrowful dramatic effect of the poem very appealing, do you think you guys could give me 3 Literary Topics I could talk about in this poem? Just so I can get an idea on what I should look for as well :) Like a guide :)

Erm guys, would it be OK if we break down the poem by paragraph?

'Cause I've got a lot of notations as well on 'Tulips' and we have analyzed it by paragraph.

So, what I'm thinking of doing at the moment is, I will re-write those notes on a new paper, including the textual evidence, then, we could either add more notations on to it per paragraph once I've posted all of em here, OR we could start thinking of 3 literary topics I could do - as choices to pick from for a great idea or something like that - by the notations I have. What do you guys think?

Although, I feel like annotating every single thing on the poem there is, because who knows, there might be stuff in there that could bring up very good points, like, I am still confused with the line "I have given my name and my day-clothes up to the nurses, And my history to the anesthetist and my body to the surgeons." My own explanation and understanding seems vague for this line. So, I want to revisit it :)

Anyway, that's the plan guys :D

• Like 1

Erm guys, would it be OK if we break down the poem by paragraph?

'Cause I've got a lot of notations as well on 'Tulips' and we have analyzed it by paragraph.

So, what I'm thinking of doing at the moment is, I will re-write those notes on a new paper, including the textual evidence, then, we could either add more notations on to it per paragraph once I've posted all of em here, OR we could start thinking of 3 literary topics I could do - as choices to pick from for a great idea or something like that - by the notations I have. What do you guys think?

Although, I feel like annotating every single thing on the poem there is, because who knows, there might be stuff in there that could bring up very good points, like, I am still confused with the line "I have given my name and my day-clothes up to the nurses, And my history to the anesthetist and my body to the surgeons." My own explanation and understanding seems vague for this line. So, I want to revisit it :)

Anyway, that's the plan guys :D

So, you want an analysis?

If my analysis seems to have missed other things that should be mentioned. So at least, when we have all our added analysis done, we can just easily think of what topics we could do with the analysis we've done already :)

Is it possible to think of a literary topic about the author using the poem to represent her need for freedom (hence the color WHITE=DEATH) from her life of bondage/troubles from her beloved family and reality (color RED, TULIP)? I've only done the first paragraph and done some research on Plath's life (a bit), looked up what the colors' represent and researched on the poem, like an overview (Idk why I did but, so I can better understand it as I re-write my annotations).

• Like 1

Is it possible to think of a literary topic about the author using the poem to represent her need for freedom (hence the color WHITE=DEATH) from her life of bondage/troubles from her beloved family and reality (color RED, TULIP)? I've only done the first paragraph and done some research on Plath's life (a bit), looked up what the colors' represent and researched on the poem, like an overview (Idk why I did but, so I can better understand it as I re-write my annotations).

I suppose that's one interpretation, maybe.

yessir! Like I should be talking about a Literary effect on the poem. Say, IMAGERY, as you have mentioned. Which should encompass the objects, people, colors and personified objects(i guess), right?

Well, if you're looking at the theme of freedom, you explore how the poet uses language techniques, imagery to talk about freedom. And comment on what type of freedom she refers to in the poem.

Poetry is centred on interpretation...so yours is equally valid.

Edited by nametaken
  • Like 1

woaaaah~

btw, this poem was probably written after her recovery from appendectomy. So the poem could exactly be her thoughts during her recovery in the hospital. :P

hmm...Language techniques(?) such as(?) subliminal meanings(?) - Imagery...the use of colors(?) - The type of freedom being referred...Hmm...What do you think? It could seem like a normal "over exaggeration" freedom from every day life, we all get that, but, to her, she wants to escape her life in bondage from her family... Suicidal freedom?(LOL) That she would rather have perpetual peace once and for all, than to confront the stark reality of her world filled with pain and and problems? (she actually had marital problems).

woaaaah~

btw, this poem was probably written after her recovery from appendectomy. So the poem could exactly be her thoughts during her recovery in the hospital. :P

hmm...Language techniques(?) such as(?) subliminal meanings(?) - Imagery...the use of colors(?) - The type of freedom being referred...Hmm...What do you think? It could seem like a normal "over exaggeration" freedom from every day life, we all get that, but, to her, she wants to escape her life in bondage from her family... Suicidal freedom?(LOL) That she would rather have perpetual peace once and for all, than to confront the stark reality of her world filled with pain and and problems? (she actually had marital problems).

Language techniques = all of the above. Yeah. Essentially, yep! You get it....

And it actually helps now that you've researched her, because you can relate it to your analysis.

• Like 1

Coolness~! Aight, Imma do my own thing here on out for now keeping in mind what you have said.

lol, I like researching the poets background, like going back to the root of things. Foundation is key ;)

I feel very confident about this Presentation bro :P Haha. But I still have to think of 3...Hang on, when you mentioned ", you explore how the poet uses language techniques, imagery to talk about freedom. And comment on what type of freedom she refers to in the poem." are those the 3 literary effects already?

Hello guys!

I finally have the topic that I will be using for my presentation~!

The effect of Language & Imagery used by the poet to portray her necessity for freedom in the poem 'Tulips'.

There it is! I've got my annotations down already, but, I need some assistance as to HOW I am going to outline my presentation, because I need a proper structure so I won't get things jumbled up, since even though I find it difficult presenting towards my peers, as long as I have a guide, I'll be fine. (grr, sorry if my vocabulary or what I have been saying seems confusing)

Presenting Outline

Introduction

-The poem was after her recovery from appendectomy (I will refer back to this once I've gone over the hospital imagery)

-The poets "hard times"

-What the poem is about in a "nutshell"

Poem Overview & Analysis

-My Interpretation(how her necessity for freedom is being shown/portrayed by Language and Imagery + Break Down of the poem, what "other words/phrases" mean.)

Conclusion

-We have the so-called "Red Half" & "White Half" of the entire poem.

-(I will draw a diagram to sum up everything :) )

->Tell me guys if this outline of mine could work :) And if anyone has any other interpretations or understanding for paragraphs 8 and 9 regarding my topic, please do tell me :) Thank you very much~! :)

Hello guys!

I finally have the topic that I will be using for my presentation~!

The effect of Language & Imagery used by the poet to portray her necessity for freedom in the poem 'Tulips'.

There it is! I've got my annotations down already, but, I need some assistance as to HOW I am going to outline my presentation, because I need a proper structure so I won't get things jumbled up, since even though I find it difficult presenting towards my peers, as long as I have a guide, I'll be fine. (grr, sorry if my vocabulary or what I have been saying seems confusing)

Presenting Outline

Introduction

-The poem was after her recovery from appendectomy (I will refer back to this once I've gone over the hospital imagery)

-The poets "hard times"

-What the poem is about in a "nutshell"

Poem Overview & Analysis

-My Interpretation(how her necessity for freedom is being shown/portrayed by Language and Imagery + Break Down of the poem, what "other words/phrases" mean.)

Conclusion

-We have the so-called "Red Half" & "White Half" of the entire poem.

-(I will draw a diagram to sum up everything :) )

->Tell me guys if this outline of mine could work :) And if anyone has any other interpretations or understanding for paragraphs 8 and 9 regarding my topic, please do tell me :) Thank you very much~! :)

Yes, I think it could work. Hmmmm.

As the poem comes to an end, Plath points out how the tulips capture her attention through their scent and sight. She compares them to a raging river, a rusted engine and dangerous animals.

In capturing this image, Plath considers the pain of her own heart, as she tastes her own salty tears. The imagery makes the conclusion unmistakable, as the hearty red tulips portray the state of her own heart, which "comes from a country as far away as health."

So, in the end she is still suffering and yearns for freedom in a sense.

• Like 1