Does your school give you time off for the exams?

goTiffany

At my school, we are given school leave ( we are not marked absent and do not have to return to school) for our IB Exams. So, we were given time off from May 2nd until May 19th to prepare for our exams on non-exam days and take the exams on exam day.

Does your school allocate you time to prepare and take your Exams?

Or do you only get off for exam days?

Edited by goTiffany

My school does give some time off to study. At my school you can take the day before a HL exam off (unless you have an exam that day, then you obviously have to come to school lol), and it is marked as excused. Though for a SL exam, you have to be in school the day before. If you have a morning exam, you can leave afterward, and if you have an afternoon exam you don't have to be at school until testing time.

We have to go to the school... After we finish the exams, we stay in the school to revise with the teachers.

Yeah, we have to stay in school too! Next tuesday everyone doing IB (all 22 of us) have to stay in school to do our world literature essays when the entire school is off doing sports day! :/

Heh, for the final exams we finish school around 1 April and have study break until the beginning of exams - obviously we have no school during the exams either (although I think HL Maths people had some study sessions during the study break). Both systems have their advantages although I personally definitely prefer getting time off to prepare individually...

Officially, we do not receive any time off for IB exams (my province's school system finishes in mid-June, with provincial exams taking place for the second half of that month.) However, we are obviously excused from any classes that take place during an IB exam, and almost every teacher tends to look the other way in terms of attendance for that period =P They know what's up.

At my school we have this Indicatives exams from the university (the school is part of it, the university of the state), or at least the general students have them. They just come, take the exam, and leave. Since these exams are on may, well the IB students do the same thing. But we don't have any other free time. We come after the exams to fulfil the Teaching and Didactics classes that don't belong to the diploma. However, in this last year people kept taking classes like French and Math, I don't know why ._.

At my school you can choose to stay home the morning of an afternoon exam. If you have a morning exam, then you have to attend your afternoon classes after your morning exam. For all other days in the exam period, you are technically supposed to be in class, though a lot of people are mysteriously absent :P

In my school, you have to come in every day and have to attend all you classes before and after the exam. However, since I live in NY, we have something called Regents, which are tests the entire state takes. We get a whole week off for the Regents, and you only have to come in to take your tests. My regents week starts Wednesday, and since I have two tests, I only come in for those tests. Its pretty cool because we also have a Regents week in January during which people who failed the Regents usually take tests. I have that whole week off too. I really cannot wait for Wednesday!

Fortunately at my school, we get time off for the exams so that we can study on our own and prepare the exams the way we want. It's up to each student whether they want or not to prepare... However, for me, the biggest disadvantage of having classes is the exhaustion one may feel after so many hours of school. Like, we do 8h per day of normal classes, and when I get home, I don't feel like doing anything. Now imagine if you've got exams in the morning, you've been studying all night or all morning or even, you haven't slept at all; it's really bad to be obliged to attend to classes :/

Edited by 1529

Our school gives us an exam block once a term (and in IB exams). This is usually 1-2 weeks (or 3-4, for IB exams) in which we can study wherever we want, and we only have to rock up for exams. It's so good - so much less stress and whatnot. Our school used to make us take classes between exams but they realised it was a waste of time because nobody paid attention and it was really unproductive. So much better a set up now :)

Our school gives us about 2-3 weeks off school before the exams. And during the exam period, we only have to go into our schools to sit the exams. Any other times of the day, we're free to come and go.

For those who have good time management skills and self-discipline, it's great - you can plan your study schedule and work at your own pace. However for those who have problems with concentration, not so great. I've known people who got sidetracked on the internet and procrastinated for ages until they finally decided to properly study the week before the exams.

The first year our school did IB, one student went to live with his grandparents during the whole exam period. He moved away from all the things that were distracting him (i.e. computer) and just studied non-stop. He got 45 points in the end.

2 weeks before the real exams we will finish school already, so we get 2 weeks to concentrate on revision for exams. after that day there is no more lesson, so after exams is already holiday. we may request for extra tutorial, or just come to school to meet teachers if we wish.

When I went through, I was taking non-IB courses that hadn't ended by the time IB exams started, and though I was expected to go to these classes by some teachers (mostly the ones who weren't familiar with IB and the fact that IB students can pretty much do whatever they want at my school) I just... didn't. (and as a result had some 50 absences from Physics) Nobody ever said anything to me, so I guess it wasn't a big deal. IB teachers knew better than to expect that we come in for classes during exams, and so all those classes were cancelled.